“If you are only hearing about Sully now you’re out of the loop” says this band’s press release in all honesty.

Kicking around the scene since 1995, the band have two previous releases under their belts and are currently gearing up for their third album, Bright Lights, released November 1.

Chatting with vocalist Becke Gainsforth and guitarist Scott Strachan (the band is rounded out by drummer Ian Duke, a U of T student, keyboardist Dan McCormick and bassist Paul Prince), it was obvious they were very excited about the new album. “We are more optimistic about this album then we have been in years,” says Strachan.

Describing their last album as something very dark and cynical, Gainsforth sees this album as “more pop then anything else we have ever done before.”

After feeling they’d had lost control over their previous album, the group is at the helm once more with Bright Lights. Strachan relates “It’s a sense of renewal this album, almost therapeutic.”

Their first music video for “Half of Once” will be released in conjunction with Bright Lights.

Dealing with miscommunication and paranoia, Sully hope that this song is the best means of coming across to an audience that is very opinionated and intelligent.

“We don’t make music that is fitting of any trend that is out right now, so we need an audience that is loyal and gets it,” says Gainsforth.

“We find that the fans we have now are very loyal and smart people.”

As for the music, the vocalist describes it best.

“The music expresses a pent up, mixed up and slightly deranged bag of emotions.”