The Blues men’s water polo team lost ground in the ongoing turf war with their cross-town rivals last Wednesday when York handed them a tough 9-8 loss. Both teams are jockeying for a playoff position.

It was not until the third period that U of T held their first lead of the game, in a see-saw battle that saw York score one or two goals only to be immediately answered by the Blues. Unfortunately the third period lead was short lived. Down by one goal with thirty seconds left to play, they couldn’t punch in the equalizer.

Although disappointed with the loss, Jonathan Coutts-Zawadski had a strong game with three goals. Team member Zran Petrovic felt a few key mistakes cost the Blues the game; however, team manager Andy Canale chalked it up to growing pains, saying the Blues are a young team and the 2001 season is a developmental year.

The other Blues players to score against York, both in the third period, were Tom Hering and Kartick Kumar. A strength all season, the excellent goal tending of Damir Geljo kept the game close all night.

Writer’s two cents:

Water polo is a grueling sport that combines certain elements of rugby, hockey, and basketball. It has the aggression and physical contact of rugby, strategic fouling similar to both hockey and basketball, and requires the shooting and passing precision of basketball. Not to mention that all of this happens in water that is over the players’ heads.

Amid the noise of fans, coaches shouting instructions, and referee’s whistles the players battle for position. A series of sharp, smart passes combined with an effective fouling strategy can lead to a scoring opportunity.