The call was on for all wankers and jazz-hounds at the Canadian International Jazz Expo, running November 2-4.

The primary aim of the convention is to promote jazz and offer the opportunity to musicians, promoters and agents to network. All levels of the industry were represented in the exhibits, seminars and clinics, providing ample opportunity to make new contacts. Seminar topics ranged from managing record labels and exporting and trade issues to hearing loss. Music clinics were also provided.

Of course, the highlight of the convention was the many live performances, and while there were no musical giants there were a few welcome surprises. Many fantastic new artists showed off their chops and provided a reminder that jazz continues to flourish. One highlight was the Canada Council’s showcase featuring emerging national artists. Tom Daniel’s Trio, hailing from Nova Scotia, put forth a most notable set. Their aggressive playing captured the essence of jazz with flurries of stunning improvisations. Similarly, the Francois Bourassa Trio provided an exceptional glimpse of jazz greatness. Their relatively short set displayed remarkable creativity through relaxed improvisations. Finally, Montreal’s Skalene played a beautiful set, combining fusion with afro-Cuban grooves while balancing traditional jazz.

Miles Davis once said, referring to the state of jazz in 1964, that people regarded jazz as “something dead that you put under glass in a museum and study.” Thankfully, that isn’t the case in 2001.