Be prepared, be nervous, and be amazed. Zamora, the one and only Torture King, returns.

“We have had some other shows cancelled because they were afraid of how the students and staff would react,” says Zamora (Tim Cridland) “The whole point of the show is an entertainment show, period. People who come to see the show will have a good time. I consider it a roller coaster ride for the audience.”

As the Torture King, Cridland pokes meat skewers through his body, swallows swords and eats fire.

“I tell people it’s far less painful than working at Burger King, and less dangerous than driving a cab,” jokes Cridland.

Cridland has been performing as Zamora for over a decade.

“It’s been a weird hobby throughout my life,” says Cridland. “I read about these things when I was young, and I found it fascinating. The problem was that there simply wasn’t anywhere I could go to see it being performed. I looked for anything I could find, from Ripley’s ‘Believe It or Not’ to medical books. I also met with and watched as many professionals as I possibly could.” Zamora prides himself on being absolutely genuine, and not bleeding during the act.

“My body has adjusted and that prevents any bleeding. Also, a lot of it has to do with studying anatomy,” says Cridland. “You have to know your body to do these things to it. If I take a month off from performing, my first week back is tough.”

Cridland’s first three years as a professional were spent with the Jim Rose Traveling Sideshow.

“I certainly like being on my own much better,” admits Cridland. “Now I can control my whole act. Jim Rose and I had what you would call ‘creative differences’ in regard to my act. I wanted to keep it pure, body and mind manipulation instead of just a spook show.”

Cridland’s is one of the only “sideshow” acts in North America.

“It used to be that every circus had a sideshow, and these types of acts would be part of them. Now, it’s a dying art,” says Cridland.

The show, billed as “shocking to the most jaded,” always has its effect on audiences. Reactions in the past have ranged from screams to laughter. When Zamora was in London, three students actually fainted, and a few others left before the grand finale of the meat skewers.

“The meat skewers have always been my trademark. It’s certainly the most intense feat I perform. It doesn’t hurt, it’s just very intense,” says Cridland.

The meat skewers have also earned Cridland the nickname “the human pincushion.”

“Word of mouth is my best advertisement and convincer,” says Cridland. “It’s really hard to change people’s minds about what I do. I just need an opportunity to show them it’s entertainment, not just one big gross-out. This is not just a shock thing. It’s not magic; it’s not sadomasochism. It has the power to shock and amaze, but it’s not the sole purpose. It appeals to our sense of awe, which we don’t get much of a chance to exercise these days.”

Of course, at each show Cridland stresses that people should not try these stunts at home.

“It takes a lot of visualizing and planning to begin a new feat. For everything new I try, I have to take it one step at a time,” says Cridland.

“I need to let my body adjust and react.”