Students against sweatshops target ‘roots’ of the problem

U of T’s Students Against Sweatshops (SAS) are headed to Roots Canada this Saturday to protest the company’s secrecy around locations and working conditions of factories that manufacture their goods.

“Roots is a company that’s interested in having a large presence on our campus,” said U of T student Paul Barret. “We’ve given them ample opportunity to work with us. We’ve approached them over the last three months trying to get some sort of response from them or some indication that they’re interested in working towards an ethical situation in their garment factories and we’ve had no response from them.”

Students Against Sweatshops are concerned with Roots’ failure to disclose information concerning their suppliers and manufacturers.

SAS have therefore begun a petition and public awareness campaign to bring these issues to the attention of Roots management and the general public.

A protest will be held at 12 noon at the Roots clothing store outside the chain’s Eaton Center location. For more information contact Paul Barrett 416.964.9279 or Chris Caners 416.782.1472.

Cinema studies film to raise awareness about homeless

Last year, U.S.-based filmmaker Marc Singer went underground to document the story of a homeless community that had developed in abandoned New York City subway tunnels. Afterwards, he ended up living with the people in the documentary due to the costs of the film production.

The end result of all this is being shown at the Innis Town Hall this Friday evening.

“It’s a fairly unique film,” said Michael White, first year film studies student. White is a part of the Cinema Studies Student Union at Innis College, and works with other students to show regular films to students on campus.

“The economy hadn’t hit the slump that it hit when we were choosing these films, but it was sort of going that way. [The film has] relevance to our current problem with housing,” said White.

He referred to the Cherry Beach homeless community in downtown Toronto and their latest struggles with developers.

“Our program from the past semester was pretty dark,” said White. Next semester’s program will be more fun. “There is always a balance trying to be struck.”

Seattle and after

Young anti-globalization activists looking for a way forward can attend “Seattle—two years after,” a forum on the future of anti-capitalism.

Patty Barrera from Common Frontiers, John Humphrey from the USWA, and International Socialist Rich Wyman will speak, followed by video clips from protests at Seattle, Quebec and Genoa.

“It’s been two years since Seattle. We’re trying to answer the question ‘What’s next for anti-capitalism?'” said Ken Golden, an organizer with the International Socialist.

The event will take place on Friday, November 30 at the FitzGerald Building, 150 College St., room 103. It starts at 7:30 p.m.