Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros
Global a Go-Go
Hellcat

Yes, it’s the new Joe Strummer album. Yes, he was in the Clash. He is and will always be more punk (without even trying) than the majority of the so-called punk bands gracing magazine covers around the world. With the new album Mr. Strummer takes his punk attitude and applies it across genres of rock, punk, reggae, dub and country—to name a few—and does so without sounding forced or awkward. When a musician as talented as Joe Strummer can take his own beliefs and allow them to grow and flourish into different musical genres and sounds, it proves how much more of an attitude and belief system “punk” is than a simple style of music. Take note.

Rating: VVVVV
Steve Servos

Nickelback
Silver Side Up
EMI

Chad Kroeger is angry. His lyrics are bellicose and pissed-off. This isn’t a bad thing, though, when you’re writing tunes like the ones on Silver Side Up. Essentially a collection of top-40 friendly heavy rock, Nickelback’s newest album is consistently well-done stuff. It’s nothing revolutionary, and there’s very little ground here that hasn’t been covered before. But one need not rebuild the wheel every time one wants to cruise down the block: this album proves this and falls into a familiar mold. It just does it well.

Rating: VVVV
Al Mousseau

The Verve Pipe
Underneath
RCA

I am shocked to find this record is actually pretty awesome. The hooks are there, crystalline and beautiful, the production is slick and professional, and it all somehow avoids being boring. Basically, the record completely lives up to what it promises: a series of catchy, radio-friendly tunes influenced by old college rock bands like The Pixies, REM, Husker Du or, most evidently, Soul Asylum. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that if you like these bands, you should pick this record up. Uh-uh. This isn’t Zen Arcade. But it IS a solid, successful attempt to fuse those sounds with mainstream alterna-pop.

Rating: VVVV
Noel Nickol

Operation Makeout
First Base
Mint

Is it just me or is the cover art totally disgusting? Maybe it speaks more to my fear of human contact, but the close up of intertwining tongues has me gagging while I make out with my girlfriend. The singer’s voice kind of reminds me of the girl from X, except she doesn’t seem as slutty. These aren’t great songs, but somehow I doubt that’s the point. The record radiates a joy in playing and the knowledge that everyone in the band holds a day job. It’s a real fun time.

Rating: VVV
Noel “CD cover” Nickol

Susan Vega
Songs in Red and Grey
A&M

Songs in Red and Grey marks a turning point for Vega. Fans will know that this is her first album since her divorce from producer-husband Michael Froom and it shows. This is a divorce album in the classic sense (think Dylan’s Blood on the Tracks) both lyrically and musically. Songs such as “Widow’s Walk,” (“It’s not the man but the marriage that was drowned”) and “Soap and Water” appear so naked in their subject matter that you can’t help but feel just a bit nosy listening to them.
Musically, Songs… marks a departure from the electronic arrangements of last ten years back to her folk-pop roots. The arrangements here are spare and tasteful, highlighting the beautiful melodies. A true return to form for an artist whom many had written off as finished in the New Millennium.

Rating: VVVVV
Noel Nickol

Buellton
Avenue of the Flags Film
Guerrero

Pop music is a painful business for a number of reasons. First and foremost, for the obvious reason that the majority of great pop music involves heartache and pain. Secondly, because unfortunately there is a lot of terrible pop music out there, and it’s easy to find. Luckily for Buellton, they strictly adhere to the first reason. Soulful and dark, Buellton at times sounds a lot like Built to Spill, but without much rocking (if you can imagine that). A strong addition to any indie rock kid’s collection.
Rating: VVV
Steve Servos