“Truth is stranger than fiction,” says Hilary Swank of her new role in The Affair of the Necklace, a flick that even the filmmakers don’t expect too much to happen with. “I don’t think this is the type of film a 17-year-old male would see,” states director Charles Shyer. “You can’t please everyone.”

Napoleon called the “Affair of the Necklace” one cause of the French Revolution.

The royal jewelers of France created an incredible necklace of 647 diamonds—2,800 carats—for the mistress of King Louis XV. Louis died before the necklace was completed and his mistress was quickly banished from court.

The jewelers were unsuccessful in selling it to Louis XVI and his wife, Marie Antoinette, or to any royal court in Europe.

Though based on the original design, the necklace used in the film is not an exact replica.

The real necklace was too long and “garish,” according to Shyer. “Heavy,” moans Swank, who appears wearing the necklace for less than 30 seconds on screen.

“We tried to relate the necklace to the 21st century, but it’s still out there,” said Shyer.

Enter Jeanne de la Motte-Valois (Hilary Swank). “Charles offered me the part before I even won the Globe,” said Swank, who won Best Actress Golden Globe (and Oscar) for her portrayal of Teena Brandon in Boys Don’t Cry, “I read the script and knew I wanted to be a part of it.”

Orphaned at a young age, Jeanne is a direct descendent of King Henry II. To regain her rightful place in society, Jeanne persuades those around her, including Louis de Rohan, Cardinal of all France, that she is a personal friend of Marie Antoinette’s.

Jeanne’s lover Retaux and husband Nicolas aid her in the scheme, as does Rohan’s psychic friend Count Cagliostro (Christopher Walken). Walken’s character is comic relief in an otherwise dull drama.

His appearance alone has the audience laughing from the moment he arrives onscreen.

Shyer’s first non-comedic film (previous efforts include the orgasmic Father of the Bride series) still manages to slide in a chuckle here and there.

“When Rohan has his hot chocolate cooled for him, it’s perfect, because he doesn’t realize what a jerk he is.”

Power-hungry Rohan can attain the position of Prime Ministership if Antoinette forgives him over something her mother, the empress of Austria-Hungary, has said. Jeanne is asked by the jewelers to help them sell the necklace to Antoinette.

In turn, she convinces Rohan that Antoinette desires the necklace, but can’t afford it. If he were to purchase the necklace for her, she would pay him back and the Prime Ministership would be his.

Sucker…. he agrees. The payment never arrives. The necklace is destroyed.

The diamonds are sold, a scandal breaks loose and arrests are made.

“I don’t think she realized that someone was going to die. She had a narrow-minded focus and she missed out on love,” concludes Swank.