Townhall on Varsity Stadium Development Levy

U of T’s proposal for students to pay for a new athletic center on the Varsity Stadium site is being hotly debated by student activists.

SAC will be holding a townhall meeting Thursday January 10 from 6-8 p.m. at the Medical Sciences Auditorium to discuss the Varsity Development Levy. The meeting will be an information session and discussion regarding the financing plan for the development.

The proposed levy will cost full-time students $25 and part-time students $7.50 during its construction. When the project is complete, full-time and part-time students will pay a levy of $89 and $26.70 respectively.

“The project itself is not drawing much controversy. It’s how the University has chosen to finance it that will cause difficulties,” said Paul Kendal, SAC Deputy University Affairs Commissioner. According to Kendal, the levy is expected to cover 56 per cent of the costs, depending on the funds raised through donations and naming rights and from the government. There is a risk that students could be on the hook for a greater part of the costs.

A referendum is expected to be held in the spring over the proposed levy.

The townhall will be moderated by UA Commissioner Agata Durkalec. Speakers will include Professor Bruce Kidd from the Faculty of Physical Education and Health and Jorge Sousa from the Graduate Students Union.

SAC will have surveys available for students to fill out. The results will be brought to the next meeting of the Council of Student Services, when the levy will be discussed.

OPIRG to show film on immigration

The Ontario Public Interest Research Group at U of T is showing a film on immigration called “Who Gets In?” on Wednesday night.

The film reveals what Canadian immigration officials are looking for in potential new Canadians. It also goes into the economic, social and political priorities that sway their decision making.

The film is free, and will be shown at Innis Town Hall, 2 Sussex Ave., on Wednesday January 9 at 7 p.m.

Volunteer: 416-978-7770 [email protected]