Montreal (CUP)—Some would say using marijuana in a medical setting is, ahem, a half-baked idea with no possible benefits to society or suffering patients.

Others might disagree, including the McGill research group that recently received $235,000 from Health Canada in partnership with the CIHR (Canadian Institute for Health Research) to scientifically prove the medical worth of this popular plant.

Since the 1960s, scientists having been trying to ascertain the medical benefits of one of North America’s most popular recreational drugs. Consequently, there is a slew of anecdotal evidence attesting to its use in alleviating suffering resulting from Crohn’s disease, partial spinal cord injuries and glaucoma. Recent research has focused on the effects of marijuana in affecting the immune system and the discomfort associated with cancer and AIDS chemotherapy. Still, perhaps the most promising work has been done in analyzing how marijuana works in the body.

Three Little Letters

The active component thought to provide much of the analgesic (pain modulation) and cognitive effects of marijuana is called THC (tetrahydrocannabinol). While many scientists believe there are other psychoactive compounds in cannabis, THC is the most studied and best understood. Basically, when one smokes a joint or uses some other ingestion device, the heat from the burning marijuana leaves causes the THC to become aromatic (airborne) and enter your lungs. Once it reaches the brain, a set of receptors are activated, causing the effects that have become so familiar to pot-heads and invulnerable undergraduates, among other sectors of our community.

The Receptors

In much the same way as a key fits into a lock, THC finds a home in what have been dubbed the Cannibinoid receptors. They are especially common in areas responsible for memory, cognition and motor co-ordination. For scientists curious about THC’s effects, these receptors are crucial to ongoing research and their presence is a cornerstone to explaining marijuana’s therapeutic effects.

Well, along with identifying the receptors for THC, researchers have also elucidated the endogenous ligand (in English: the “key” for the receptor “locks” made naturally in the body). This chemical is called anandamide and is derived from fatty acids (the stuff in butter).

Anandamide is involved in numerous physiological processes including pain modulation, control of movement, co-ordination, balance, pleasure sensation, learning, cognition and memory. The current basic science research is trying to resolve what impacts this receptor-ligand (lock and key) mechanism, hormones or neurotransmitters being the primary targets. Figuring out this mechanism would mean learning more about these incredibly complex systems, with the aim of eventually devising treatments for problems in these areas.

Glaucoma

Perhaps the most convincing evidence for a medical use of marijuana comes when one considers this common vision impairment. Essentially, glaucoma causes one’s vision to blur due to a film or cataract that covers the eye. The cause is IOP (intraocular pressure) which is increased blood pressure in the optical region.

Recent research has found that in a three-to-four hour period after inhaling marijuana, the subjects’ IOP was markedly decreased. These results were seen in both patients with glaucoma and those with normal IOPs. Also interesting was the fact that a topically applied (cream form) of THC had no effect. The exact mechanism of all other IOP inhibitory drugs is known but research in the area of marijuana has been remarkably slow.

Despite lingering concerns regarding the administration of a drug which had to be smoked, the American Academy of Ophthalmology had this to say about using pot in the treatment of glaucoma (1992): “There is clear evidence that marijuana (or its components) taken orally or by inhalation can lower intra-ocular pressure.”

AIDS and Cancer Chemotherapy

Many of the strongest drugs used to treat various cancers and AIDS boast long lists of uncomfortable side effects. The most critical of these is “wasting,” a term that describes rapid weight loss caused by nausea and vomiting that adversely affects many patients. The ravages of the disease are, in many cases, not as uncomfortable as the toxic soup of medications that are enlisted to aid in the body’s defense efforts.

This is where marijuana comes to the rescue. With not a single negative drug interaction reported, and hundreds if not thousands of patients reporting miraculous alleviation of medication-related suffering, marijuana may be the drug of choice to prevent wasting.

Indeed, AIDS patients serviced by the Compassion Clubs (marijuana pharmacies) in Montreal and Vancouver have consistently touted the benefits in terms of allowing them to eat and carry on their daily routines. The medical establishment has taken these claims seriously and is currently investigating the possibility of using cannabis in a widespread manner to combat these side effects.

Immune System

THC also appears to have some immunosuppressant properties.

This may seem alarming, but in terms of making you susceptible to that nasty cold, passing the joint and sharing your buddy’s saliva is likely to be much worse for you. Still, some cell mediated and humoral immune system responses may be slightly impaired by heavy marijuana use.

The data in this area is not entirely clear or conclusive; some research actually points to enhancement of other parts of the immune system.

Scientifically speaking, marijuana’s effect on the immune system is an intriguing area of study. The auto-immune disorder multiple sclerosis has shown some anecdotal evidence of being ameliorated by weed. Also of note are results of experiments involving EAE (experimental allergic encephalomyelitis).

This is a disease that is inducible in rats, which in many ways mimics the effects of MS. Here, marijuana has been shown to modify the immune response and decrease the severity of the disorder. This is certainly fascinating, as the more we begin to understand the action of THC in the body, the better we can apply its powers to the healing effort.

Science meets Politics and the Law

While the Canadian government has been more open to allowing marijuana to be studied and used in a medical setting, our neighbour to the south has not been so forthcoming.

The DEA has not relented on marijuana’s classification as a Schedule-1 drug, insisting it has a high potential for abuse and no medical uses. Many have pushed for downshifting of its status to Schedule-2, where it would sit alongside other tightly controlled prescription drugs such as morphine. These are drugs that have a high potential for abuse but also some possible therapeutic effects.

On May 14, 2001, Justice Clarence Thomas had this to say about changing the status of weed: “Marijuana has no medical benefits worthy of an exception.” The 8-0 U.S. Supreme Court ruling that the manufacture and distribution of marijuana are illegal under all circumstances has been a blow to hopeful investigators and the substance’s proponents in the scientific and medical communities.

On the other hand, a mere two months later, Canada relaxed its laws regarding the availability of marijuana to severely and terminally ill patients.

As well, Health Canada has opened up the door to research endeavours with its ambitious multi-million dollar marijuana growing facility in an abandoned mine under a northern Manitoba lake.

With high-profile science publications like the Proceedings of the National Academy of Science exhibiting work like Oxford’s Leslie Iverson’s piece “High Times for Cannabis Research,” it seems the tides may be changing regarding the uses of this banned substance.

It remains to be seen, however, what the current research both McGill University and other universities and abroad will uncover.