Friday, January 11 is certainly a night Todd Erskine would like to forget. The Brock coach led his troops to battle hoping that his Badgers (3-9-0) would at least give the #2 ranked Blues (8-1-1) a good game. That certainly was not the case, however, as the Blues walked all over the visitors, scoring seemingly at will and defeating Brock by a score of 12-0.

Despite the lopsided score, the disparity between these two teams is probably best illustrated in the shot count. U of T led 27-2 in shots after two periods and finished with a 42-6 advantage. Goaltenders around the world would be envious of Lisa Robertson, who picked up the shutout without having to make any difficult saves.

In all fairness to Brock, the Badgers seemed on pace to at least achieve a semi-respectable score until a five-minute major penalty and game misconduct for boarding was assessed to Nigelle Lagerwerf at 17:05 of the second. Coach Erskine argued the call and received a minor penalty for his efforts. The Blues used the power plays to their advantage, extending their lead from 5-0 to 8-0, thanks to goals by Bree Kruklis, Susie Laska and Stephanie Allen.

Not surprisingly, Brock seemed to give up completely in the third frame and U of T added to their lead. Donna Paul scored on a lovely pass from Nancy McLean at 4:44 to make the score 9-0. Kim Rumble followed that up with a goal of her own, as her wrist shot bulged the twine on the power play at 5:31. Amy Caldwell added a pretty goal at 10:59, cutting out front from right to left and sliding the puck into the low corner. Jenny McRae completed the scoring.

Both Jillian Savin and Deandra Locicero had commendable evenings, each contributing two goals.

Savin opened the scoring early in the first before Locicero gave the Blues a 2-0 lead at 12:02, taking advantage of some miscommunication between Brock goalie Lyndsay Somerville and one of her defencemen. Locicero added her second of the night at 15:29 with a well-placed shot to the low glove side, spelling the end of Somerville’s night.

Savin scored at 3:27 of the first to give U of T a 4-0 lead.

Susie Laska had a goal and two assists before being thrown out of the game for boarding at 18:22 of the second.