As she gathered with friends and family to mourn his passing, Anita Benedict fondly recalled the man who blazed a trail for aboriginal students U of T.

“He gave the aboriginal students courage to stand up for themselves—and that was a risk to take,” she said. “He made students identify who they are and be proud of that.”

Known to Benedict and many more as an educator, activist, leader and friend to whomever he met, Rodney Bobiwash passed away on January 13. The prominent native leader was 43 years old.

Those who knew and loved Bobiwash came to pay their respects yesterday at the Native Canadian Centre of Toronto, where the filled auditorium left many standing to view the ceremony. The people gathered included family and friends, students from the university and many others from reserves all over the province.

Benedict met Bobiwash when he hired her as coordinator of the First Nations House at U of T. In addition to teaching part-time at U of T, Trent and University of Manitoba, Bobiwash was the director of Aboriginal Student Services and the First Nations house at U of T from 1994-97.

“When he came to the university, students were very excited about him as a supporter and a leader, so he really did give intellectual integrity to aboriginal programming and student services, and the justification for aboriginal student services on the university campus,” said Benedict.

She continued, “He was an amazing thinker, truly an intellectual who was highly respected among other academics. He was a very inspirational speaker and writer as well, and had an incredible sense of humour.”

A vigil was held for Bobiwash over the last three days at the centre, with a fire burning outside on the front lawn. A traditional drum playing was displayed to commemorate a man who served the aboriginal community at U of T and far beyond.

An esteemed member of the Anishnabek Nation, Bobiwash, MA, was also former director of the Forum for Global Exchange and BioCultural Security Directorate at the Centre for World Indigenous Studies (1998-1999) and executive director of the Native Canadian Centre. His extensive work as an activist included organizing the Third Encounter for Humanity Against Neoliberalism, a worldwide gathering of aboriginal people and community groups.

Bobiwash was an extensive human rights activist. He has worked for indigenous people in Mexico, Columbia, Siberia and other countries.

And on campus, he explained and justified the importance of an aboriginal voice, said Benedict. The need for aboriginal studies in combination with aboriginal student services led to the creation of services like First Nations House.

In addition, Aboriginal Studies became a field of study at the university as major and minor programs.

“I had a tremendous appreciation for his understanding of his aboriginal history and those in the community,” said Benedict.