“They are all Enron” read one of the protestor’s placards, summing up why thousands of demonstrators were standing in the rain outside one of New York’s most posh hotels.

Inside was the meeting of the World Economic Forum—1,000 of the world’s largest corporations, including Microsoft, Monsanto, Nike, General Motors and, until just recently, Enron. That corporation, which saw top executives cook the books and fatten their own wallets at the expense of thousands of employees, is just an extreme version of what most big businesses do every day, according to the demonstrators.

They say the enrichment of society’s upper crust is coming at the expense of not only workers but the environment.

“We are offended that at such a time of crisis, the world’s richest and powerful are descending upon the ruins of New York to plot and to schmooze,” read a statement by the Anti-capitalist Convergence from Montreal. They were joined at the protest by hundreds of other groups, including Students for Global Justice, Reclaim the Streets, Another World is Possible and Mobilization for Global Justice. The WEF is a leading proponent of globalization, helping to set economic and trade agendas world-wide.

Demonstrators in New York have a problem with the idea of a private entity like the WEF, which is only accountable to members and ultimately concerned with profit, creating policy that will determine future global governance.

“Together, and in solidarity with other initiatives against the WEF, we will seek to model the world we wish to create,” said a member from Students for Global Justice.

The WEF met in New York City instead of Davos, Switzerland, as in years past. “As the world’s financial capital and the site of the recent terrorist attacks, there could be no better place than New York City,” said WEF founder Klaus Schawb.

Some protesters claimed the meeting was moved in hopes they would not demonstrate in a city that was still grieving post-September 11. But demonstrators were not thwarted. The thousands of protesters assembled in Central Park before marching toward the Waldorf-Astoria, where the meeting for the WEF was taking place.

Signs with statements about the WEF were held by both young and old, reading “White Executive Forum,” “We are all Argentina,” and “The Streets belong to the people.”

The demonstration was non-violent, displaying puppets portraying a story about the WEF.

Although there was some hostility from the police officers guarding the streets, the protestors stood their ground.

The police officers pepper-sprayed protesters who held up shields trying to march towards the Waldorf-Astoria, and began targeting people who were wearing black or red, or had a mask or scarf on their face.

In total, 92 arrests were made, with charges including loitering, possession of a gas mask, obstruction of justice and assault police. Two of the arrests were Canadian.

“We can’t be ignored,” said a student from New York University. “They’re going to have to notice us. Something is building up here, and our demands will be met.”