VICTORIA (CUP)—Simmering discontent with the B.C. Liberal government finally reached a boil in Victoria as thousands of protesters organized by the B.C. Federation of Labour took to the streets last weekend.

Nearly 25,000 people turned the legislature lawn into muddy soup on Saturday, protesting recent government policy in B.C. Issues at the top of the list included recent civil service cuts, the reopening of public sector union contracts, changes to welfare rules and the deregulation of tuition fees in B.C.

“We are here today because we are fighting for the future of our province,” said Jim Sinclair, president of the labour federation. “Let there be no doubt that we represent the majority of people in B.C….and we have the strength, resolve and answers to build this province properly.”

The rally began with a march down Victoria’s Government Street at 11:30 a.m., with repeated shouts of “Recall,” a reference to B.C. government members’ eligibility for electoral recall later this year, as well as other slogans.

An hour later, protesters packed the legislature lawn and flooded more than two city blocks when the 17 scheduled speakers, ranging from labour leaders to aboriginal rights activists, began an impassioned oratory to the cheering crowd.

Protesters expressed contempt for B.C. Premier Gordon Campbell’s decision to stay home during the rally and watch the Olympics, as well as recent comments by provincial Finance Minister Gary Collins that such protests are predictable.

“[Campbell and Collins] can say and do what they want, but they can’t ignore the people that are here and the issues of everyday society,” said Surrey resident Lindsay Hamilton, who came to Victoria along with hundreds of others on a ferry chartered by the labour federation.

Other demonstrators said the rally alone would fail to get the point across to the B.C. government, since the legislature was closed for the weekend. Many advocated further action and called for a province-wide general strike.

“Today I see a lot of signs that say a general strike is the only way to move the [B.C. Liberals] and that might be what we need to do with a government that is so ideologically entrenched,” said Victoria resident Hub Meeker.

Observers who stopped to stare at the march waved, honked their horns and were generally supportive.

“We sure hope that Campbell will listen, with such a large population protesting,” said Sooke resident Pamela Prewett. “This is a great show of solidarity.”

More than 120 Victoria police officers and commissionaires were at the scene. A spokesperson said police felt the protest had a low risk of becoming violent due to internal self-regulation, but added they intended to remain watchful for groups within the protest that were not associated with it and could cause trouble.

Both police and protest organizers agreed the demonstration was peaceful.

Residents of “Camp Campbell,” a group of activists and Victoria street youth who have camped out on the legislature lawn since the Feb. 6 national student rally, greeted the marchers with cheers, drums and a garden of vegetables planted on the legislature lawn.

“There are no jobs on the island so we need available, arable land to plant food,” said camper Peter Degroog as he tilled the legislature soil. “We might as well do it here.”

Jessica Boquist, a University of Victoria student who has remained at Camp Campbell for 15 days, added that while she plans to leave the legislature grounds after the rally, many members of the collective, who rank among Victoria’s homeless, intend to stay for as long as they can despite possible police action.

“Though I should mention that it is no one’s goal to get arrested,” she said.

But sentiment at the legislature was not unified and other protesters shouted differing points of view at the rally.

Krista Wickes, a member of the Victoria Status of Women Action Group, said the B.C. NDP were just as guilty of attacking the poor as the B.C. Liberals when they held power.

“As far as I’m concerned, what we’re seeing now is same stuff, different party,” Wickes said.

Wickes added that what B.C. needs is a proportional government where the provincial electorate could be represented more equitably in the legislature.

“This would prevent another government with 100 and some-odd MLAs to do whatever they want,” she said.

The last time B.C. saw a protest of this size was in 1983, when 20,000 people stormed the legislature to protest B.C.’s then Social Credit government’s cuts to social programs.

According to the labour federation, the Feb. 23 rally cost at least $100,000.