Whether you are new to the country (and the University of Toronto), and looking for a friendly face, or a domestic student who wants to sample international cuisine in your own back yard, the International Student Centre is the place to be.

The ISC provides a warm, comfortable place where domestic and international students can meet to relax, study and socialize.

Although its name suggests otherwise, the ISC caters to the needs of both international and domestic students. For international students, they provide assistance with the adjustment of living in a new country. They provide information on non-academic matters affecting international students.

The ISC staff help students deal with a range of issues, from culture shock and housing to obtaining visas, finding on-campus employment and filing income taxes. As well, through initiatives like the Buddy Programme, international students have the chance to link up with current U of T students who can answer questions and ease their adjustment to the new culture.

The ISC also organizes social events like ski trips and outings to see musicals. These activities are designed to introduce them to Canadian culture. They are open to all U of T students and Ben Yang, the ISC coordinator, encourages participation from the entire student body so that people from different backgrounds get to know each other better.

For domestic students, the ISC provides access to information related to going abroad. Students who want to participate in the Study Elsewhere Programme can obtain information on the requirements for participating in a student exchange.

They have access to a list of participating universities, as well as the chance to improve on their language skills before they leave Canada through a Language Exchange. Here they interact with native speakers in their language of choice, and learn more about the culture of the country they will be visiting.

The ISC building is open until 10 p.m. 7 days a week. They host many events each year and have at least one cultural exchange each month. These exchanges allow all students to sample food from different countries and learn more about different cultures.

International students are registered automatically with the ISC, but domestic students who wish to receive information can call the ISC at 416-978-2564 to be put on their listserve. This e-mail service advises them of upcoming events.