MONTREAL (CUP)—Queer McGill is once again protesting the annual Student Union-Héma-Québec blood drive’s policy of not accepting donations from gay men who are sexually active.

Queer McGill’s complaint lies in the content donor questionnaire, one step in a screening process intended to weed out those with potentially unsafe blood. The questionnaire permanently defers any male donors who have “had sex with another male, even one time, since 1977,” as well as any women who have had sex with a man who has had sex with another man.

“Our goal is to raise awareness,” said Queer McGill spokesperson Brad Gayman. “Both Héma-Québec and Canadian Blood Services screen for people rather than activities…[The questionnaire] stigmatizes gay men and women in relationships with bisexual men by saying that they are engaging in high-risk activities.”

Alex Dow, a member of Queer McGill, said the questions are too general.

“It doesn’t ask if you have had unprotected anal sex. The question is very ambiguous and unclear about sex and unsafe sex practices,” said Dow.

Michel Thisdel, a communications advisor for Héma-Québec, argues that although all blood is tested for HIV, donors must still be screened because of imperfections in the testing process.

“There is a brief period, known as the ‘window period,’ after the onset of a viral infection during which early signs of a virus cannot be detected,” said Thisdel.

Canadian Blood Services (CBS), the blood collection agency for every province except Quebec, has the same policy.

“The basic premise for these deferral criteria is that the incidence of HIV is much higher in males who have had sex with other males than it is in individuals having exclusively heterosexual sex,” said Jirina Vlk of CBS. “CBS defers potential donors on the basis of high-risk activities, not lifestyles.”

Health Canada held a conference last year to examine the donation policy, but it is doubtful that the offending question will disappear soon. According to Andrew Swift, media relations officer for Health Canada, “there will likely be no change in the foreseeable future.” Queer McGill was one of many lobby groups at the conference.

Others who are permanently deferred from donating blood include individuals who have taken illegal drugs with a needle, accepted money or drugs for sex, had sex with anyone who has tested positive for HIV, or had sex in the last twelve months with anyone who has used cocaine.