The Black Students’ Association (BSA) held its High School Conference last Friday to discuss the challenges faced by young black students and to encourage them to enter post-secondary education. The event was the fourth annual conference to help students overcome racial barriers. Student Cassie Creighton said her race is a barrier to educational achievement: “You have to work more to get the same recognition,” she said. The day started off with a U of T recruitment officer discussing programs and financial assistance offered by the university. Afterwards, workshops were set up where university students and professionals talked about career fields such as business, law and medicine.In one of the workshops, Gary Miller, a second-year medical student, discussed under-representation of black students in medicine. He asked students to guess how many black students out of 200 there are in first-year medicine at U of T. The estimates ranged from three to 50. Miller’s response: one. Some students explained that marks, time and money required for medical school destroyed their hopes of entering the field. But some optimism may have been restored by these workshops. “They have definitely been encouraged from what I’ve seen,” said Miller.Near the end of the day, a discussion was held on stereotypes of black youth. Hip-hop was cited as one source of these preconceived images. A student felt even though rap lyrics may have a message, “in the end all that’s seen is the clothes, the girls, the violence.” The media’s role in perpetuating stereotypes was strongly expressed by many. In response, one BSA member stated, “In order to change any institution you need to participate in it.” It wasn’t only the students who were expressing frustration. “I’m sick of this ‘are you a teacher?’ bullshit” was the response from one teacher.

She says that as a young black woman, she is constantly asked if she is a teacher because people do not expect her to have a good job.

She, among many others, later explained mentoring is one of the best ways to help black students overcome their struggles. Saba Andermariam, an organizer, said mentors and role models are the main things lacking for young black students.

Miller said a mentorship program in his youth was a key factor in helping him on the path to medical school.And there was no doubt in many people’s minds that this conference helped to provide role models for the students attending.

“It’s a great opportunity for students to meet other students to talk about struggles and give hope and inspiration,” said teacher Elizabeth Eng.

As Shola Oduwole, an organizer, said, “We’re here, we exist, and we’re actually studying.”The conference has grown in size with about 200 students attending this year, up from well under 100 in the first year.

The BSA has also started a high school outreach program and hopes to establish a job-shadowing program and a scholarship.