Murphy Browne has definitely never been on a sitcom, but she’s done about everything else. Meet the newest NDP candidate for Don Valley East, one of our very own.

In a plush office surrounded by ringing phones and stacks of paperwork, Browne, the APUS (Association of Part Time Students) vice president, hardly appears to be a typical U of T student. True, the Anthropology major and Linguistics minor sits in classes like the rest of us, but she’s also the owner of a hectic schedule and hefty responsibilities.

Besides teaching African heritage for the Toronto District School Board, Browne, who immigrated from Guyana two decades ago, is a volunteer at organizations such as the City of Toronto’s Race and Ethnic Relations Committee and the Campaign for Public Education. In the past she has been involved in everything from unions to Girl Guides to equity and anti-racism committees.

As if that wasn’t enough, Browne is now a potential MPP. So why the jump from social activist to the lion’s den of politics? For Browne, it was a natural step in her fight for equity and to keep key services such as hydro and health in public hands. “Their [the NDP’s] platform of public power is something I believe in. I don’t believe in privatization because when that happens, ordinary people suffer.”

Browne is particularly vocal on the subject of education. She places increasing funding for universities as one of her top objectives. “Students being able to get a quality education means that there won’t be any slashing of budgets that this government [the Ontario Tories under Ernie Eves] has put in place,” she said. Browne also marked decreasing student debt and helping students to get loans and grants as priorities, largely through reform of OSAP (the Ontario Student Assistance Program). She pointed to the increase in restrictions and decrease in payments of OSAP and the affect this has had on students.

But why just reduce tuition, why not just scrap it? That’s Browne’s idea and although the NDP platform only promises a 10 per cent reduction of tuition, Browne wants to get rid of the pesky fee altogether. To make this happen, she stresses the need for businesses to contribute to the education of their future employees. Stated Browne, “I don’t advocate that the corporate sector take over but they should put something back.”

As for her own time spent in university, Browne cites a positive experience working with other U of T student leaders. “Student groups are very dedicated to making the university experience a very good experience for students.” She’s not so keen, though, on the underrepresentation of African Studies and the rude attitude of Governing Council, particularly to visitors of the council such as herself.

When asked why she dedicates so much time to volunteering in the community, particularly in the field of education, she pointed a desire to change the ‘teacher knows best’ mentality that many immigrants to Canada bring from their home countries. Due to the discrimination against such minorities as blacks in the Canadian school system, Browne says it is necessary that parents become involved in their child’s education. Has it been worth all the hard work, though? Browne replied, “It has been worth it…getting kids back into school and giving kids and parents the tools of empowerment and to advocate for themselves and their child.”

That doesn’t mean that she doesn’t get some time out for herself, though. Despite her crazy schedule, Browne still finds time to be involved in Caribbean and African theatre and to write short stories and articles.

Now to the big question, does she think she’ll win? “My chances are very good because it’s an immigrant community, we’re not that well represented in any levels of government.”