On the weekend of Sept. 26-28, 25 U of T students decided to escape the turmoil of university life, and head to a remote cabin in the country. Members of U of T’s Outing Club (UTOC) organized the weekend in hopes of attracting undergraduate students to the excitement and adventure experienced by anyone who attends a UTOC trip.

The club offers frequent, inexpensive weekend and day trips. UTOC’s mandate is to encourage students to experience the outdoors at student prices. Outdoor activities include cross-country and downhill skiing, hiking, camping, cycling, rock climbing and caving.

The club’s prized possession is a large cabin, built in the 1960’s, located 160 km northwest of Toronto on a gorgeous section of the Niagara Escarpment. The cabin itself was hand-built by UTOC volunteers, and the lumber and material were donated by various construction companies. By January 1970, the club owned 43 acres of surrounding land, bought and paid for by the university.

In the late 1960’s and 1970’s, the club had no trouble attracting undergrads. Weekend cabin trips were famous among the student body, luring anywhere from 70 to 80 students up to the cabin on any given trip. Years passed, members of UTOC’s golden era graduated, alumni membership increased, and student membership decreased.

In 1996, only 25 per cent of the club’s members were U of T undergraduates. “I was one of the youngest members,” recalls Bernard Chang, the canoe coordinator, “and I had just finished my undergrad.”

With the help of some very dedicated undergraduate executives, the club is regaining its status as a student association. Last year’s vice-president Amy Cooper focused on getting students aware of the club. “All the awesome opportunities the club offers were just being wasted,” she remarks.

Publicity officer and student coordinator Derek Stonley agrees. He notes that although the club is open to non-students and students from other institutions, last year only 33 per cent of the club’s membership was made up of U of T students. “That’s not right,” he said, “it’s a great club and no one knows about it on campus.”

Stonley’s aim for the future is for the club to consist of 50 per cent undergrads and 50 per cent graduate students and alumni. Older members bring experience and expertise to the club, and they possess the most valuable thing of all: cars.

Carpooling cuts down the cost of trips drastically. Last weekend’s trip cost each participant $37. But the adventures experienced by the 25 U of T students were priceless.