A panel of broadcast journalists from across Canada came to UTSC on Wednesday to give an in-depth and highly informative seminar on their chosen profession, specifically for UTSC’s new journalism students. About 20 anxious soon-to-be-journalists showed up for the chance to ask questions and make important contacts with successful people “in the business.”

The speakers included Margo Harper, a three-time winner of the Jack Webster award, and the assignment editor at the CTV affiliate in Vancouver VTV, David Onley, an alumni of UTSC, an anchor on CP24, and a science and technology specialist at CityPulse, and Philip Coulter, a producer and documentary creator for CBC Radio.

All three encouraged the students to build an extensive portfolio and network like crazy to find a job after graduation. Coulter noted that “there is no one way for getting into the media, which translates to, there is every way.” In fact, it was advised that journalists do not necessarily have to have a journalism degree. For instance, David Onley was a political science major at UTSC (because at that time there was no journalism program). Above all, they persuaded journalism students to stay in Canada, where good reporting doesn’t necessarily pay well, but it is imperative in keeping our media in top shape.

Some of the tips to becoming a good journalist and writing articles well, included asking the “who cares” question. “You’re the one who has to make someone care,” Coulter noted. Harper recommended that when writing a piece, you should “try to talk to the ‘insignificant’ people for good sources of information,” insignificant meaning, not essential players in the event being covered.

Assuming that most journalists will have a portfolio upon graduation and a related internship, another way of getting noticed by potential employers is “to get journalistic experience off-campus and to network” Harper said. Also, since the majority of people in this field know each other, by extensive networking a past employer could put in a good word, which would help struggling journalists get the break they need.