2003 was advertised as a season of reinvention for the football Blues. There was a new head coach, and a new playing surface to set the team back on track. But coach Steve Howlett was a former standout with the Blues, and the “new” playing surface was a temporary venue built on the site of the sorely missed Varsity Stadium. Thus, everything old was new again in Blues country.

But this season, to indulge in another cliché, was the same old song for the Blues. The team’s competitive heartbeat was very faint as they finished a dismal 0-8, and broke their own OUA record for points allowed in a season.

Despite the losing record, there are several positives the Blues should take into the off-season. Team progress was evident this year, particularly in many of the green Blues. Howlett has said time and again that his mission is long-term development, and it became clear this season that the team is slowly moving in the right direction.

The Blues’ main problem over the past few years has been stability. From the constant coaching changes, to the inability to retain players for more than a couple of seasons, the Blues have been ravaged by their inability to progress. The Blues, quite simply, have not been able to improve the players that stay, or recruit new ones to fill the void left by those that move on.

For the team to improve, Howlett’s young charges must not only be retained, but must take it upon themselves to improve physically for next year. Position-by-position, here is a look at how the 2003 Blues fared:

Quarterback:

As expected, two-sport athlete Carter Livingstone took essentially all the snaps in 2003. While Livingstone did throw for over 1,200 yards, he also threw a total of 24 INTs and only three TDs all season. Well regarded rookie backup Adam Kuprevicius did not get any experience at the position he was recruited to play, and this may severely hamper the Blues’ QB development.

Offensive Backs:

Standout Templar Iga carried the load on offense for the Blues in 2003. Iga ran the ball 125 times for 500 yards and three TDs, despite missing almost two games due to injury. Statistically Iga needs to improve his yards-per-carry average (4.0) to be considered amongst the top running backs in the OUA. A big, experienced blocking fullback would do wonders for Iga’s production.

Receivers:

Jason Riff and Ian Watson both had arguably their best seasons as Blues in 2003. What the Blues desperately needed was someone to stretch defenses, something Watson’s surgically repaired knee had trouble handling. The Blues have two big strong inside receivers in Aaron Merkle and the oft-injured Amos Pudsey. Getting the ball into their hands would have been especially helpful in relieving the pressure on Riff and Watson, but they were sorely underused in the passing game. The addition here of a tall, fast recruit would work wonders for the future.

Offensive Line:

This unit was supposed to be a strength for the team, coming out of last season, but instead it lost three returning veterans and an NCAA transfer prior to 2003 training camp. Big tackle Andy Campbell showed flashes of promise, and University of Ottawa transfer Josh Armstrong played well at the other tackle position. These two bookends could solidify the unit for the next few years.

Defensive Line:

This unit was not a strength for the Blues. They repeatedly failed to stop the running attacks of other OUA teams. East-West Bowl representative Bob Vranich suffered without a balanced presence at the other end. Transfer students Phil Vreugdenhill and Malcolm McKinnon performed adequately, but inexperience and injury really damaged the defensive line.

Linebackers:

Derek Wheeler, among the leading OUA tacklers every season, was the poster boy for this defense. However the Blues defense could not stop offensive drives with any consistency. Sean Henderson, playing extensively for the first time in his four years with the Blues, showed a lot of potential, and really made many question why he hadn’t played before. Along with Wheeler and Henderson, several youngsters showed progress, most notably Tony Tiberia. The progress of this unit will greatly determine the fortunes of the Blues in the next few years.

Defensive Backs:

This unit was ravaged by attrition before the opening of training camp. One of the only returning starters, Jeff Bushell, performed adequately, while Mike Earp, returning from knee surgery, proved that he could anchor this unit in the next few years. Young players Mike Tutty and Sam Appiah made strong contributions to a young and potentially very good defensive secondary. The youth and size that this unit possesses bodes very well for the Blues’ future in an OUA rife with big, strong receivers.

Special Teams:

This unit was hurt more than any other by the loss of veteran players. The lack of a true kicker or punter really hurt the team in an early, winnable game against Waterloo. The kick-coverage too was often suspect, and had many in the stands holding their breath. George Polyzois, continuing the long tradition of standout St.Mike’s players at U of T, showed flashes of brilliance. He should be stationed on the Blues’ kick-return team for the next four years, at least.

Coaching Staff:

The first year of a new coaching staff almost always goes in one of two directions. There is the quick-fix, and then there is the coaching staff that builds slowly, for the future. Coach Howlett and his staff had no choice but to build for the future.

With so many veteran and role players gone, the Blues had to rely on their young and inexperienced players to guide them through a tough OUA schedule. Bob Howes worked wonders on the offensive line, cutting and pasting to make the most of a unit hit hard by attrition and injury. Defensive coordinator Chris Hadley’s scheme is a good college defense, but he did not really have the personnel in place to make it work to its full potential.

The real test of this staff will come shortly, however, as the recruiting season begins. It is crucial that Howlett and his staff develop and maintain good relationships with feeder schools in the city, so as to be able to bring in some decent young football players. Too often in the past, Blues recruiting focuses on players with raw skill but no football experience. To compete in the OUA, the Blues need to recruit players that have played football before, bottom line. With the right approach, this coaching staff can forge recruits into the sort of team that can and will compete every Saturday in the ever-tougher OUA.