Since Manon Rheaume took to the nets for the Tampa Bay Lightning in an exhibition game in 1991, women’s hockey has seen tremendous growth. Evidence of the escalation of girls shinny was evident Thursday night at Varsity Arena, where our Blues played to a one-all draw with the Chinese national team. Ten years ago the Chinese didn’t even have a national women’s hockey team. More notably, ten years ago women’s hockey wasn’t even an Olympic sport. How times have changed.

We all remember the Canadian women’s triumphant gold medal win at the 2002 games in Salt Lake. A remarkable accomplishment in its own right, but what is even more remarkable were the other teams competing. Kazakhstan, China, Germany, and others competed in Salt Lake, and their level of play has risen significantly. The growth and improvement of women’s hockey internationally is evidence of the arrival of the women’s game.

Once upon a time North America was the only competent producer of women’s hockey talent in the world. Ever since the days of pink Tackla’s at the 1990 world championships, Canada and the U.S. have only had each other for real competition. But this is all changing with the inclusion of the sport in the Olympic games. In Salt Lake, Canada was tested by the Finns in the semi-final and eventually won the game 7-3, a score that only became inflated in the late stages of the game.

Today the other nations are starting to catch up, and the game is achieving credibility at the international level. China is doing its best to improve their women by competing against Varsity teams across Canada. This international excursion shows marked progress for the mentality of women’s hockey internationally. That countries besides Canada and the U.S. are aiming to take their games to the next level is a positive sign of growth.

On this side of the pond, the growth of the game isn’t even a question anymore. Lucrative scholarships are available to U.S. schools, and in Canada the CIS has developed many fine players and coaches. U of T’s own Karen Hughes coaches our national team and was an assistant on Canada’s gold medal winning effort in Salt Lake.

However there are still many issues challenging the sport. Unless you’re good enough to make the national team, there isn’t much opportunity for making a career in women’s hockey after university. Pro women’s hockey does not have an equivalent to the WNBA. And unlike the NBA, which has supported women’s pro basketball, the NHL has no intentions of propping up a women’s pro league. Not that there isn’t any opportunity to play. There just isn’t any opportunity to get paid to play.

Right now, there is a ten team pro league that exists for female hockey players–the NWHL. Unfortunately the league doesn’t get much exposure and the women don’t make much money. And with only 20 spots for players on the national team, there are thousands of women now lacing up their skates in North America who will be forced to quit the sport before they’re ready.

Nevertheless, women’s shinny has grown significantly, and its leaders should be proud of the strides they’ve taken. But there is still work to be done. The best female hockey players in the world shouldn’t have to play against men to make a living.