Queen’s University Golden Gaels quarterback Tommy Denison is taking his game to the CFL after signing a contract with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in December.

In his three years at Queen’s, Denison rewrote the Ontario University Association (OUA) and Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) record books. Last season he won his second straight Hec Crighton Award as the most outstanding player in Canadian university football.

Denison wowed CFL officials with his arm strength and ability to command the Queen’s offense. Last off-season he worked hard to improve his mobility, which was clearly evident in 2003 OUA play.

“We are excited to have Tommy come into our camp to compete for a position,” said a statement issued by the Winnipeg club’s general manager and vice-president of football operations Brendan Taman. “His college career warrants him getting a chance and we are happy to give him the opportunity.”

During the 2003 CIS football season, Denison led the CIS in passing yards with 2,907. He also set an OUA record for touchdown passes in a single-season with 24. He ended the season with a 64.9 per cent completion rate.

Denison completed his university football career by setting a Queen’s passing record of 7,592 yards, which is sixth best in the CIS record books.

The prodigal quarterback attended Beamsville high school, in Beamsville, Ontario. He was a high school standout earning the Great Lakes Football League’s, MVP award in 1997. After high school, he decided to continue his playing career in the United States.

He played his first year of college football for Graceland College in Lamoni, Iowa. A year later he attended Mansfield University, before coming back to Canada.

For the upcoming CFL season, a spot on the Winnipeg roster is not guaranteed for Denison. Instead, he will be given every opportunity by the Blue Bombers to win his place on the team by proving he has what it takes to make it at the next level.