Of late, U of T’s men’s and women’s basketball teams have been sporting spiffy new Converse Respect sneakers into battle. In awe of the Blues spirited skill and agility on the court, Varsity writers Matt Somers and Ryan Kennedy thought they’d strap on a pair of Respects to answer that age-old riddle-could the shoes be all the difference between being a Varsity sports writer and a genuine varsity athlete?

Matt Somers

I really didn’t know what to expect when I stepped onto the hardwood for the first time in these new Converse Respects. I mean, how do you know you’ve made the right choice of footwear to give you that extra edge over the competition? I’ve worn other shoes and they just haven’t worked for me. They have left blisters on my feet and it was like torture every time I landed after a tricky one-handed fade away. Damn! Thats what I get for wearing Doc Martins to pick-up games.

These shoes were much better than those ratty old dress shoes. Not once did I feel bumps, bruises or callouses on my feet. Not once did I feel like the skin on my ankle was going to rub right off my foot. And not once did I so much as grimace when I landed after swishing an impossible shot. I was so proud of my record setting four-point performance, it almost brought tears to my eyes.

That’s not even mentioning the added height I got on my jumps. I started blubbering like a baby when I was finally able to scrape the bottom of the mesh at the peak of my jump. I think I need a tissue.

Now let’s talk about fit. Can you say cozy? I knew you could! They fit tight, they fit just right, and they never caused me to slip as I flipped off defenders and ran away for my own health and safety. I know you like that lyrical talent! Admit it! I just couldn’t contain myself after all two of my spectacular baskets.

All jokes aside, the new Converse Respects worn by U of T’s baksetball teams are excellent for on-court performance. They fit well, did not make me slip mid-lay-up, and caused absolutely no pain to my feet. It didn’t hurt to land in them after a jump shot or dirty dunk. I also like the velcro at the top of the shoe to keep them tight, even if the laces come undone during a rapid chase for a loose ball after a monster swat on defence.
I really don’t know how well these shoes would work for other sports, say badminton; but, they were designed with basketball in mind and for moves in the paint they pass the test.

Ryan Kennedy

Strapping on the new Converse Respect basketball shoes, I felt ready to play. The clean design of the shoe went perfectly with my white velour track suit, also from Converse. Echoing the new school aesthetic of sneaker design, the Respect goes for a “less is more” approach, with wide expanses of patent leather accented with the traditional Converse five-point star.

Of course, the last time I played basketball, I nearly keeled over and died from exhaustion, but this time felt different. My sinewy muscles did not feel overworked, and my oft-cracking joints did not grind against each other. Could it be the shoes? With their double-security combo of laces and velcro, the Respects definitely keep you strapped in. Unlike the time in first grade when my velcro shoe gave way during a track and field tournament and fell off, forcing me to retrieve it in mid-race. Why didn’t I just keep running without the shoe, the kids asked. But I had no answer, only tears.

With the tight ankle support of the Respects, that ugly scene will never play itself out again. Now I am a basketball machine, breaking ankles with my Iverson-esque killer crossover, and using the Respect’s superior cushioning to stop on a dime and nail a fadeaway jumper like MJ over the Cavs back in the day. Watch out world, I’ve got the drive, and now I’ve got the shoes. Lebron ain’t got these shoes. So watch out, son.