In a game that featured several lead changes, the women from Western pulled away late to defeat the Varsity Blues women’s basketball team 66-58. The Blues, who led the OUA West with a 9-1 record before the weekend began, were unable to match the clutch shooting from the second place 7-3 Mustangs. With less than eight minutes to go, the Mustangs started to string together impressive offensive possessions using quick ball movement, to exploit the Blues zone defence. Late in the game, the Mustangs clinched the victory by nailing their perimeter shots, especially third-year forward Rebecca McColl who led all scorers with 25 points. Vanessa Nobrega led the Blues with 17 points.

In a battle of 2-8 teams, the Western men dominated from start to finish to defeat the Varsity Blues 86-72, completing the doubleheader sweep. The Mustangs used their significant size-advantage to frustrate the Blues on both ends of the floor and create mismatches all game long. Leading 42-35 at the half, the Mustangs kept up their strong three-point shooting to withstand any charge by the Blues offence in the second half. The Blues did show spurts of good ball movement, and got a strong 17-point performance from guard Kenny Hilborn, but their defence had no answer for the inside/outside game of fourth year Mustangs guard Adam Peaker, who finished with 31 points.