With retired Canadian General Romeo Dallaire currently testifying at the Rwandan war crimes tribunal against Theoneste Bagosora and other accused leaders of the 1994 genocide, it is fitting to take a moment and look at the root cause of that nation’s terrible ordeal: ethnicity. Ethnicity is a funny thing. It’s something that people are born with, can’t request, and can never change. Thus it stands to reason that people of different ethnicities living in the same place could accept their situation and work to resolve differences peacefully, either with each maintaining their distinct cultural and ethnic identities (the more creative and exciting way) or with one group becoming culturally assimilated by the other (a very limiting solution).

But no, ethnic groups in conflict have often historically felt that whoever shoots most or yells loudest will magically change the ethnicity of the other group, or force them to leave because of persecution (or, at least, noise pollution). And some extreme leaders, faced with the reality that large masses of people are never inclined to relocate, have attempted to exterminate an entire ethnic group as a way of settling differences once and for all.

This brings us to Rwanda, where two ethnic groups, powerful for different reasons, vie for position and importance, each trying to push the other off this “postage stamp” nation.

How can Rwanda learn from Canada? Well, although we seem to take forever to decide things and waste lots of money on little-used government studies, it is rare that we cannot settle an ethnic difference peacefully and effectively using diplomacy and dialogue.

The FLQ and some militant native groups may beg to differ, but not since Wolfe and Montcalm battled it out on the Plains of Abraham have we had a seriously violent ethnic conflict.

However, our resolutions to ethnic questions, though peaceful, are no less dramatic. The 1995 referendum and the ongoing separatist struggle have created some of the most intensely passionate Canadian moments of the last 20 years, and have focused our attention on the question of our identity and our ethnic makeup more than ever. While our view of ourselves is always in flux, it’s safe to say that most definitions of Canada make special mention of our willingness and peaceful ability to embrace diversity. And as a testament to this claim, we continue to welcome all cultures, even as the spectrum widens to include citizens from every corner of the world.

Rwandan government policy tries now to suppress ethnic identities, assuming that doing so will allow for reconciliation and make citizens think of themselves as Rwandan first, ethnically Hutu or Tutsi second. As a unifying force and a way to get citizens to end the continuing violence and work together, this makes sense. Popular perception aside, French-Canadians do see themselves as strong and vibrant members of Canada, and their dominant presence in politics and the military proves that they are willing to work within the institutions of the country.

But ethnic groups in Canada are encouraged to preserve their cultures, as French-Canadians and many immigrant groups have certainly done. Once Rwanda heals the deep wounds left from the brutal and vile genocide-and that process may take a few generations-it is hoped that its ethnic groups can celebrate their unique characteristics while remaining dedicated to the cause of a peaceful, unified Rwandan society. This is what Rwanda can learn from Canada.