Prime Minister Paul Martin had very little to say about students in his throne speech Tuesday.

Delivered by Governor-General Adrienne Clarkson, the speech is a ceremonial initiation for the newly appointed PM. The speech is meant to give Martin’s vision for the country and put to rest any qualms Canadians may have about the new leader in charge.

Surprisingly, the usually economy-driven Martin centred his speech on social issues. He hit right at the heart of most Canadian’s concerns, ensuring an extra $2 billion would be invested in the heath care system to reduce hospital waiting times, and promising to invest a half-billion dollars worth of GST rebates to help cities. In fact, he even promised to invest $4 million in environmental clean-up projects, and better yet, he’s repeated his promise to provide anti-AIDS drugs at low cost to Africa.

Yet, one question still remains; what about the students?

Martin did pledge to invest in student aid programs, proposing an amendment to the Canada Student Loan Program to increase loan limits and add new grants for low-income students. Also, Martin touted “a new learning bond for every child born to low-income families” that will help parents put away money for their child’s education. While this is a positive step, Martin left out the most fundamental concern for all students: tuition.

In his speech, Martin asked “What kind of Canada do we want?” Answering his own question,He says “We want a Canada where every child arrives at school ready to learn. A Canada where everyone has the opportunity for post-secondary education regardless of geography or means.”

For this to materialize, reforming the Student Aid program is only the first step.

For Martin’s vision of accessible education in Canada to be complete, he must help students with the burden of tuition now, so that students can continue their education and afford the education of future generations. Pundits note that more loans and saving bonds will not reduce the cost and debt of education.

Martin’s speech certainly contained a grand vision, with the intention of benefiting students in many ways once they graduate, but for now, many feel that students are being left to tough it out.