Jewish students across Toronto are celebrating the opening of the Wolfond Centre for Jewish Campus Life.

The new home for Hillel at U of T is a 10,000 square foot building located at the corner of Harbord and Huron Streets, with a structure uniquely embodying a mix of copper with ancient Jerusalem stone. Designed by architect Susan Friedrick, the building’s interior has a spacious feel which mirrors the “open concept” of the centre that is to be accessible to all students, both Jewish and non-Jewish.

The program director for the Wolfond Centre, Lisa Isen Baumal, emphasizes that “the centre is not just for Jewish students, it’s the opportunity for all students to learn more about the Jewish community.”

Since the 1940’s Jewish student groups at U of T like Hillel, have been crammed in the basement of University College and have had very limited options for kosher meals on campus. In response, the centre offers a completely kosher kitchen, student lounge, a quiet prayer space and ample study space soon to be equipped with computers and other resources.

Baumal explains the centre hopes to “strengthen the pride [of Hillel] through charity work and Israel advocacy.” Events like the Shabbat dinner which took place last week was already a success with more than 400 Jewish students in attendance. As well, talks from Professor Gil Troy titled “Why I’m a Zionist” and Bret Stephens, the editor-in-chief of the Jerusalem Post are not only targeted at youth, but to the community at large to generate greater understanding of the Jewish perspective.

Despite the current conflict between Israel and Palestine, since the onset of the building’s construction in October 2002, Baumal says “not one piece of graffiti has marked the site” and there has been no hate mail or negative feedback. Although she admits “security has been a big issue in the building,” they are making sure it does not compromise the open and inviting feel of the centre. Hillel is hoping to use the space to continue a peaceful dialogue with the Muslim Students Association and create joint ventures of social activism.