An hour interview with Stan Bevington, one of the founders of Coach House Books, is like a walk through forty years of history in the Sussex neighbourhood where literary giants like Margaret Atwood, Michael Ondaatje and Allen Ginsberg began their early writing careers.
Tucked behind Innis College on bpNichol Lane just north of Robarts library, Coach House has established itself as a historical landmark in literary circles by sticking to their roots and traditions. Even in the era of internet and mass production, Coach House still publishes and prints books the old way: manual labour and antique presses.
But times have changed. Surrounded by modern high rise buildings and commercial offices on Bloor Street, Coach House, along with the secluded and close-knit neighbourhood where everyone knows everyone else, is expecting new neighbours.
The building that Coach House currently calls home is owned by Campus Co-op, a non-profit and independent student organization that offers affordable housing to students. For the past 35 years, Coach House has enjoyed a somewhat symbiotic relationship with its landlord: they pay a monthly rent that is below market value, with no formal lease; in return, Coach House agrees to maintain the aging building.
However, increasing operation costs and maintenance costs at other Campus Co-op houses have strained the relationship in the past year. Campus Co-op is facing financial difficulties. Along with hiring a new general manager, Randy Daiter, Campus Co-op has adopted a rejuvenation plan in hopes of raising revenue by building new residences. The proposed construction site is located right in Stan Bevington’s backyard – the parking lot beside Coach House.
Bevington is unhappy with the change because he believes building a modern residence in the old neighbourhood destroys human values, continuity and community. “Ask anyone here, there is not a new building here. The few times that they have torn down [old houses], everybody has been unhappy.” He continues, “Human values are being distorted. Things that are important to people are not being maintained…it’s not a good way to build a community.”
Despite Bevington’s opposition, a new residence is likely to be built. According to Kate McGee, Campus Co-op’s communications manager, Campus Co-op is well aware of the historical significance of Coach House and stresses that the new building’s design will incorporate as much of the historic Coach House building as possible.
“We’ve selected Hariri Pontarini Architects for the new building. They’ve done projects for the women’s shelters, which was a small community life that we’re are looking for. There are no designs so far but it will not be more than 4 stories high. It will ultimately be like Woodsworth College where they incorporated the new buildings with the old one.”
McGee adds there is no chance that Coach House Books would be torn down. “Specifically when we sent our requests for designs, one of the main things we requested was to incorporate the building.”
There has been much attention given to this quiet neighbourhood. Two articles were published in the Globe and Mail in recent months. McGee comments that the issue at hand is more of an emotional one:”I think it’s just the change and [Bevington] has been there since 1960…but our financial situation is not particularly great either,” said McGee.