Women’s Lacrosse

The women’s lacrosse team is holding tryouts from Monday to Friday on the back campus field from 5 to 7 p.m. No experience is required and sticks will be provided.

The team has held several tryouts already and is short of players. They had a respectable season last year, as they defeated McMaster in the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) quarter-finals and narrowly lost to Laurier in the semi-finals.

-Matt Somers

Golf

U of T is one of the inaugural recipients of a grant and a scholarship given by the Royal Canadian Golf Association (RCGA) in honour of the 100th anniversary of the Canadian Open. The other recipient of this prize this year is the University of British Columbia (U of BC).

The grant money is to help these schools develop productive and competitive golf programs. The scholarship will be named after Arnold Palmer, one of the most legendary names in golf history, who himself won the Canadian Open in 1955.

The current plan calls for the RCGA to spend $1 million on university programs in what they aptly named their University Golf Support Program.

-M.S.

Football

The Blues Football team has picked up where they left off last season. Unfortunately, that means they have been on the wrong end of lopsided scores in their first two games this season.

On Monday the squad took their show on the road to Laurier’s University Stadium and gave up five touchdowns in the first half, only to lose the contest by a score of 67-0.

The second contest was against Western and took place at U of T’s own Varsity Field on Saturday. It was witnessed by a small but boisterous crowd of 512 that would see the Blues score their first touchdown of the season, as Adam O’Neil caught a seven-yard pass from rookie quarterback Mark Stinson.

A single point was the only other offence they could muster, though, and the team fell by a 72-8 count. 50 of those points were scored by Western in the first half alone.

The Blues, who are trying to silence rumors put forth by the Toronto Star of dissension in the ranks, see their next action against the undefeated McMaster Marauders in Hamilton on Saturday. McMaster has won four Ontario University Athletics (OUA) titles in a row.
-M.S