There are many who are willing to write off this season’s incarnation of a football team, given that they have suffered three lopsided defeats in three games. Head coach Steve Howlett is not one to give up on his squad so quickly, however, or to let critics ruin his day.

“We have turned it around whether people see it or not,” said coach Howlett. “Turning around a program means setting it on a course where good people engage in a coordinated effort and are being developed in order to nurture personal skills, teamwork, and effective execution so that they can improve and increase their chances of success.”

“We are really new as a team and have made great strides in development of the program,” he continued. “We are getting better in every aspect of our program and this can be measured in many ways. Unfortunately there are no short cuts and outcomes will come when effective process is established and all of the elements of the program are aligned.”

The Blues have lost matches to Laurier, Western and McMaster since this season has begun to unfold. Their worst performance was a 67-0 shutout at the hands of Laurier and their closest loss was a 77-14 beating at the hands of the Marauders from McMaster.

Partly responsible for the losses, and a major cause for controversy, is the fact that some key veterans decided not to play on the team this year. Among these are star running back Templar Iga and solid kicker George Chilakos.

“It always hurts a team when its members decide to go their own way, especially when they are talented players,” noted the coach. “These two players were part of a program that did not have the same values as we do now. Ultimately, a team is better off to have players who buy into team values and when there is a change some people have difficulty adjusting.”

An article in the Toronto Star, suggesting that veterans were leaving the team because they were tired of losing and because they disagreed with the coaching staff, questioned team unity.

Howlett was adamant in his assertion that team unity is not a problematic issue for his team: “Let me say right here, right now, that there is more team unity than you can possibly imagine. In fact our team morale is a considerable testament to the character of our players and coaching staff, who have forged ahead through tremendous adversity, more than anyone knows, and have embraced the vision of what Varsity Blues football truly is and where it will go. Anyone who thinks differently has no idea and is too detached from the program.”

The team is certainly going for a fresh approach this year, which includes the recruitment of many new players. Over forty new faces appeared at training camp, who had a variety of football skill and experience. Of these, a few have already caught Howlett’s eye as having the potential for future stardom.

“We have found a great tailback in Marc Gaudette and we have improved our kicking game dramatically with the additions of Cam Takacs, Joe Valletilini and even Dean Chilakos, George’s brother. We have two exciting quarterbacks in Mark Stinson and David Hamilton. We are thrilled with the young talent we have brought in, but even more pleased with the veteran players who have embraced our approach.”

Coach Howlett also weighed in on the issue of the new stadium. He is of the firm belief that a new stadium would show new students that U of T is committed to excelling in athletics, but the quality of the team is even more important.

“The stadium is important for potential recruits to see that the University is committed to its athletics programs. However, a recruit wants to know that the quality of a football program is high and that there is a vision of what it will be. It isn’t enough for us to just sell the stadium. There is so much more than that.”

There is great reason to pay attention to Blues football this year, with many first-year students playing football this year, a coaching staff that has a firm system in place and the possibility of a new stadium not far in the horizon, even if the scores are not favorable thus far.

Steve Howlett knows that the score is not the bottom line. He wants the world to know this, and to know that Blues Football is well on the way to recovery.

“We have brought in over 40 good recruits this year, we have the best coaching staff around, we have players adhering to strength and conditioning programs, dramatically improved scores on our physical testing, and significant improvement in team morale and team atmosphere. Most things consistent with a quality program are now in place and it’s just a matter of developing our young talent and continuing to recruit nation-wide. There is so much more than scores to look at if anyone wants to take the time to look for true insight.”