On Monday the sun was shining, the band was playing and everyone was in a celebratory and overjoyous mood. Too bad this atmosphere of fun was present at York University and not U of T.

It was made official at a press conference on Monday that York will be the future home of York University teams, the Toronto Argonauts and the Canadian Soccer Association (CSA). York put a proposal together in a matter of weeks after U of T decided not to pursue their plan of a new stadium on September 30.

“Maybe the first time around was a practice run,” said MP Joe Volpe of the failed U of T proposal. “I think we have things right this time.”

The new facility will have 25 000 seats and is expected to cost in the area of $70 million. The funding will come from several committed partners: the federal government, who will pay $27 million; the provincial government, who will be responsible for a further $8 million; York University itself, which will spend $15 million on the project; and the Toronto Argonauts will put up $20 million, as well as cover any extra costs and any annual operating shortfalls.

The stadium will be located on the site of York’s current soccer and football field, which, at the moment, is without bleachers or stands.

“I thought that this project would be a way for the governments, provincial and federal, to come together,” continued Volpe. “It is so delightful that York was able to put together such a strong team–including the Argos, the CSA, and the municipality.”

Jim Bradley, minister of tourism and recreation, represented the provincial government at the press conference. He sees great benefits once the new stadium opens in 2006.

“The stadium will give Toronto a new facility to attract national and international events, which will have a wonderful economic spin-off,” said Bradley. “The under-20 championships will indeed be an important event. All eyes will be on York universally during that event.”

“Soccer is the largest participant sport in Canada,” added Bradley. “There are many youngsters out there in Ontario who will get to use this facility.”

Kevan Pipe, CEO of Soccer Canada, was also very excited about this new project: “We are absolutely ecstatic about this. This is going to be a theatre of dreams for soccer in Canada for decades to come.”

Pipe also alluded to the other ramifications of working out this stadium deal. It means that Canada is now guaranteed to host the 2007 FIFA Men’s Under-20 World Youth Championship.

“Today’s announcement fully confirms the FIFA championships in 2007,” he said. “Over 20 countries will be coming to Canada. This stadium will be a launching pad. It will allow us to go after other events, like 2008 World Cup qualifying matches.”

The Argos will be the other major benefactors when the new York Stadium is fully erected. They had a whole host of representatives at the conference-including cheerleaders, GM Adam Rita, Pinball Clemons, the York mascots and a number of players.

Toronto’s CFL franchise their first game at their new home to be their home opener in 2006. That means that they will only remain at Skydome for two more seasons.

“Just look around at the festive atmosphere in this gym today,” said Argo co-owner Howard Sokolowski. “This is a sign of things to come.”

“The entire university community has embraced the stadium with open arms. I can’t wait till it is a reality.”

The other Argo co-owner, David Cynamon, also expressed his feelings about the new proposal: “We now have the ability to [control] our own destiny as the Toronto Argonauts. We will be able to design our own schedule and play mainly on Saturdays and Sundays. The new stadium will be world class and we will create a festive atmosphere on game days.”

Now all any one can do is wait for the facility to be created, so that the games can truly begin. All signs point to this eventuality, and there is no indication of a rerun of U of T’s stadium demise.

Cynamon summed up this optimism from an Argonaut perspective: “We are very excited for opening kickoff in 2006, when we launch a new dynasty at York University.”