After enduring months of noisy construction, UTSC students can finally reap the benefits of the newly completed UTSC Student Centre.

On Oct. 15, students and faculty celebrated the official opening of the UTSC Student Centre. Managed by the Scarborough Campus Students’ Union (SCSU), the facility was designed to satisfy the diverse needs of the growing Scarborough student body.

“Students are excited because it’s not just a building, it’s a building run by the students, for the students,” said SSU president Adam Watson in a press release last week.

Students contributed suggestions throughout the development process, and worked closely with Dunlop Architects Inc., a Toronto-based firm, with the intention of blending bold and contemporary aesthetics with clean and practical purpose. The building incorporates several environmentally-friendly touches, including a green roof, a recycled steel frame (reclaimed from the recently demolished portions of the Royal Ontario Museum), bamboo flooring, and water conservation technologies. A TTC stop is located at the entrance to encourage students to use public transit.

Several of UTSC’s student services have relocated to the Student Centre, including the Health and Wellness Centre, Multi-faith prayer space, a piano lounge, and SCSU offices. Meeting rooms and office space for student clubs and associations can also be found at the centre.

The opening was hailed by student leaders and administrators alike for involving Scarborough students in the designing, operation, and above all, funding of the new centre. UTSC students will pay a $60 levy per student for the next 30 years to fund the $14 million facility; UTSC’s provost matched the funds, and employees of Scotiabank contributed a further $100,000 to help build the 48,000 square-foot building.

Students may also study at ease, in a relaxed setting, as sofas, chairs and tables are strewn throughout the Student Centre.

“So much of the student experience happens outside the classroom or library and it gives me great pleasure to celebrate the opening of a new focal point for UTSC student life,” Frank Iacobucci, interim U of T president said.