Water Polo

The men’s and women’s water polo teams have been polar opposites this season. The men’s team refuses to lose and the women’s team has yet to pick up their first victory. This pattern continued Wednesday, as both teams were in action against York. The men won 17-1 in a blowout, while the women were pummeled 13-4 by the Lions. Both teams will have to wait until Friday to play again; both squads will take on McMaster on that date. The women’s game will start at 7:00 p.m. and the men will play at 8:15 p.m. U of T is home for both affairs.

The Marauders from McMaster are currently in top spot in the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) women’s water polo standings, while the McMaster men’s team is ranked third in their conference. The Blues are first on the men’s side, while an 0-5-0 record has the ladies sitting in last position at the moment.

National Hopes

The men’s soccer team has an opportunity to become Canadian Interuniversity Sports (CIS) champions next weekend in Montreal. The team lost 1-0 in a tight OUA Final to Western, but still qualified for a birth in the CIS Championship next weekend.

In other CIS news, Western also defeated the women’s rugby team on Sunday to capture the Molinex Trophy and the title of Canada’s best university women’s rugby squad. The final score was 12-8, but the Blues still walk away with the silver medal. Read The Varsity on Thursday for more rugby coverage.

On a brighter note, the women’s field hocky team beat Waterloo to win a bronze medal the CIS women’s field hockey championships in Edmonton. The Blues won 2-1 in double-overtime.