Hockey

U of T celebrated Minor Hockey Night on Saturday, as kids from a variety of teams came to cheer on the Blues. The women opened the day with a game at 4:30 p.m. against Brock and were followed by the men’s game against Western at 7:30 p.m.

The women’s team was successful in defeating the Badgers. The final score in this overtime thriller was 3-2, which left the 400+ fans with a good taste in their mouths. Mary Modeste was the hero of the day, as she scored the winning goal with just over two minutes left in overtime.

Brock had been undefeated going into Saturday’s contest, boasting a record of 6-0-1-0.

The Badgers continue to lead the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) East division, with the Blues not far behind. U of T is 4-3-1-0 so far this year.

The men were not quite as lucky on Saturday. They fell to Western by the same 3-2 score. Ryan Hare of the Mustangs scored the winning goal midway through the third period after receiving a beautiful pass from Mike Rice.

Read The Varsity on Thursday for more coverage of Minor Hockey Night.

-Matt Somers

Volleyball

The women’s volleyball team was in action against the previously undefeated York Lions on Wednesday at the Athletic Center. The Lions escaped with their unbeaten record intact, even though the Blues gave them a tough time.

The Blues were able to take the favoured York to a full five sets, but could not finish off the Lions in the end.

The Lions are now a perfect 8-0 on the year, while the Blues are now 7-3, which is good enough for second place in the OUA East behind York.

The ladies took out their frustrations on Guelph on Saturday, as they defeated them in straight sets.

The men’s team also had mixed success over the past week, as they also lost to York and beat Guelph. York swept the men 3-0 on Wednesday, while the Blues were able to squeak out a 3-2 win over the Gryphons.

Toronto now sits seventh in the OUA standings with a record of 3-5. York is on top with a perfect 8-0 record.

-MS

Grey Cup

Congratulations to the Toronto Argonauts for winning the 2004 Grey Cup. It was a hard-fought contest in the cold air of Frank Clair Stadium in Ottawa, but the Argos prevailed with a 27-19 victory. It is their first championship since 1997.

Stay tuned for parade details. Time to party, Toronto!

-MS