Last Monday night marked the official launch of Athletes for Africa (A4A), a Toronto-based charity focused on sustainable development initiatives within Africa. Hosted at Fez Batik nightclub and featuring Canadian R & B singer Ray Robinson, the launch party and fundraiser drew a crowd of almost 300 supporters.

A number of the organization’s professional athlete ambassadors and other prominent industry-insiders were on hand for the event, such as Master of Ceremonies Herbie Kuhn, the long-time voice of the Toronto Raptors. Also there was current Raptor Pape Sow.

“This wasn’t only a good fundraising event for A4A,” commented Founder, and Executive Director, Adrian Bradbury, “but a great start for a determined voice for this continent in need.”

Throughout the night, the same sentiments were echoed by athletes and attendees alike. Partnered with such groups as Canadian Physicians for Aid and Relief (CPAR) and the African Medical & Research Foundation Canada (AMREF), Athletes for Africa is currently involved in three distinct development programs: battling the HIV/AIDS pandemic in Uganda, providing water and sanitation solutions in Cameroon, and delivering food security solutions in Ethiopia.

The highlight of the evening was the presentation of the ambassador athletes, most of whom hailed from Canada. Among the most notable were Craig Forrest and Johnny Bower.

Born in Vancouver, Forrest gained international attention when he became the first Canadian to play in the English Premier Soccer League. Recently retired from his post as a goalkeeper, he now works as a soccer analyst for Sportsnet.

At 80 years old, Hockey Hall of Famer Johnny Bower expressed his passion for charity work and particularly Africa’s current plight: “It puts tears in my eyes. They should get more help. That’s why we’re here.”

Bower, who was a member of four Stanley Cup-winning Maple Leafs teams in the 1960s, also stressed the need for athletes to use their celebrity for a greater good: “It’s very, very important for [athletes] to get involved in charity work…If I’m available, I’ll go.”

In addition, former U of T Blues swimmers and current Canadian National Team members Jen Button and Liz Warden showed their support for the cause. As one of the guest speakers, Button recounted her experience as a Canadian athlete participating in international competition and the opportunities that simply being Canadian have afforded her.

“We’re all lucky [here],” she said. “Helping give Africa a voice takes so little effort, but can do so much. Athletes are role models and have an opportunity to influence. We have a voice, we have an audience, we need to use it.”

Heavily represented at the event was the U of T’s Faculty of Physical Education and Health, as many staff members and Varsity athletes came out to support both the cause and co-worker Bradbury, who is himself a former OUA basketball player and current Sports Information Director for U of T. Bradbury has spent the past year establishing Athletes for Africa as an athlete-driven organization, committed to the fundamental issues of development and infrastructure in Africa, rather than simply sport.

“I can’t stress strongly enough that we’re not about exporting sport,” explained Bradbury. “With 2,000 people dying of AIDS in Africa everyday and the international community basically turning a blind eye, what Africa’s children need more than anything is what we so often take for granted-a chance at a life of dignity and peace. Aren’t we all entitled to at least that?”