Chantal Petitclerc couldn’t do it. Neither could Lauren Bay, Brad Richards, Damon Allen, or Kyle Shewfelt. Double Olympic medalist Adam Van Koeverden was also unsuccessful. The only people able to elicit a round of applause from the crowd gathered at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre were 12-year-old Heather Stewart and 11-year-old Paul Manieri.

Heather and Paul were making their first appearance as the new provincial ambassadors for the Easter Seals Society. The foundation helps children with physical disabilities and has been in operation for over 80 years.

Easter Seals hosts a sports celebrity dinner and auction as one of its main fundraising initiatives each year. Sponsored by Siemens and named for former hockey player Conn Smythe, the event attracts celebrities from all over the country.

Heather and Paul are two kids who have benefited from their involvement with the Easter Seals organization. Heather was a regional ambassador in her hometown of Sarnia before making the leap to Ontario representative. She has spinal dysraphia and spinal syringomyelia, conditions which force her to use a wheelchair when travelling long distances.

Her physical disabilities have not dampened her thirst for life as she chats confidently about her new role as ambassador and her plans for the future.

“I’ve been involved since I was born, so it’s really exciting to be provincial ambassador now,” Heather says, a smile appearing on her face. “I like being involved with Easter Seals because I get to meet new people and I also get to feel like a kid and not be laughed at.”

A grade seven student, Heather plays baseball and sledge hockey. Asked if the room full of athletes has inspired her to pursue sport more intensely, she nods her head up and down firmly. She also mentions that she would like to be a teacher when she is older.

The rest of the conversation centres on her outfit for the evening dinner: “I’m going to wear a black dress! A long, black, fitted dress.” Clearly, she is just like any other 12-year-old girl, harbouring similar aspirations and interests.

Heather’s co-ambassador is Paul Manieri. Unlike Heather, Paul is hoping to work in the sports field as a reporter when he grows up. He is visibly overwhelmed and excited about meeting all his sports heroes.

Paul’s mother, Anna Maria, says that Paul watched “every minute of the Olympics. He just loves sports.”

Paul was born with cerebral palsy and uses splints, a walker, or a wheelchair to help him move around. He plays sledge hockey for the Mississauga Cruisers and is goalie for his house-league soccer team. Paul is also an excellent student and recently made the Reach for the Top team at his school.

One of the goals of the Easter Seals Society is to inform the general public of the need for integration of the children they help within the community. It is not uncommon for people with physical or mental disabilities to be ostracized from society because they are not ‘normal.’

Holding events like the Conn Smythe dinner allows others to interact with physically disabled people and helps them realize that people with physical impairments are not that different from the norm in most ways. Not surprisingly, all the celebrities that show up are more than happy to lend their support.

For Kyle Shewfelt, Olympic gold medalist in gymnastics, the charity event is just one of the fundraising activities he has lent his time to. In addition to his public speaking engagements, Shewfelt has been involved with the Special Olympics and organizations for youth literacy and leukemia.

“I try to go to as many [fundraising events] as I can, because it’s so important to me. It is so important to give back and I’m in a position to do that. I think this is a great opportunity.”

Wheelchair racer Chantal Petitclerc was Canada’s most decorated athlete at the Paralympic Games in Athens. The dinner marked her first time helping out with Easter Seals. It was fitting that the organizers contacted her, as Petitclerc has lived with a physical disability since childhood.

Other stars that made the trek to Toronto included hockey players Bobby Hull and Larry Murphy, baseball player Orlando Hudson, and football-player-turned-reality-television-star Jesse Palmer. Among the items up for auction: an autographed jersey from Chris Bosh of the Toronto Raptors, a hockey stick autographed by Ray Bourque, and a pair of seats for the duration of the Rogers Cup tennis tournament in August.

The dinner and auction raised over $400, 000, with all proceeds going to fund programs for young people like Paul and Heather.

If there was any confusion about who the real heroes are at this event, Adam Van Koeverden settles it when Paul approached him.

“Can I have your autograph please?” he asks shyly.

“Only if I can have yours first,” Van Koeverden replies.