The U of T fencing teams brought their best game to the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) championships last weekend. The men continued their dominance, capturing their third banner in four years. Nor did the women disappoint with a well-earned bronze medal.

The recent success is the latest in the history of a long-running fencing program that has had Ken Wood at its helm for over 40 years. Wood has led over two dozen teams to OUA championships. He has also led fencers to success at international competitions like the British Empire (now Commonwealth) games, and the Pan American championships.

The fencing program has existed at U of T since the 1960s. Today the team consists of around 28 men and women who fence in particular categories.

Fencing has three main categories-Épée, Sabre, and Foil. Each category has a different scoring system and varies in difficulty with respect to how an opponent can be attacked.

The épée category allows fencers to attack opponents anywhere on the body and is the most like a an old-school duel, one you might see in an Antonio Banderas flick. The sabre category is most exciting to watch and is very fast paced. Opponents can only be attacked on the chest, hand, and mask. Finally, foil requires the most thinking and involves much more strategy than the others. Challengers can only be targeted on the chest and mask.

Over the past few years the sport has been blossoming on campus. In fact, most of the new players who joined this year were first-year students. There are year-round tournaments that keep the club active on a regular basis.

Among the top male fencers are Will Buchner and Lev Blumenstein, who brought home the gold in the in the foil category with the help of their teammates. Nicholas Rudzik and teammate Piotr Lustyk, meanwhile, are top fencers in the épée category. They captured gold and bronze, respectively, at the recent OUA championships.

Claire Midgley and Nicole Lawrence are top fencers in the foil category on the women’s side. Midgley, a rookie, captured second place in the foil category at the OUA championships.

Megan Stone is a premier fencer in the épée category. She came third in the épée category at the Ontario competition.

“Fencing is a game that begins with patience and then focuses on physical attributes,” said Lawrence, a premier foil fencer. She also explained that fencing “is for anyone, as long as the person is determined and concentrates on learning the game.”

Has your interest been piqued yet? If so, here is some useful information that the would-be fencer will find quite useful.

Practices involve drills, competitions among teammates, and dry practices that focus on footwork, proper movement, and accuracy. The Athletic Centre also offers fencing lessons for those who are new to the game, so players of all skill levels are welcome to join in.

The team practices at the Athletic Centre on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 6pm onwards. New members are always welcome.