Men’s Soccer

John Vidovich, who just completed his first year as head coach of the men’s soccer team, announced Wednasday that he will be leaving that position.
The urge to spend more time with his young family is one of the factors that caused Vidovich to make the decision to leave. No other reasons are known at this time.
Vidovich had a successful year behind the Blues bench. He was named coach of the year after leading his team to an Ontario University Athletics (OUA) silver medal and a spot in the Canadian Interuniversity Sports (CIS) championships.
Vidovich spent years playing soccer before coaching. He was a member of the Canadian Soccer League until 1990 and had a successful university soccer career with Carleton in the 80s and with U of T while at OISE in 1999.
Vidovich has not completely abandoned soccer with this latest decision, though. He still coaches boys’ and girls’ soccer teams at Danforth Collegiate and Technical School, where he also teaches.
­-MATT SOMERS

Squash

The Athletic Centre will be filled with kids with racquets this weekend, as U of T is playing host to the Canadian University and College Squash Championship. The tournament will run all day Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
Last year a U of T student, Katie Patrick, won the women’s portion of the tournament. The same feat was accomplished in 2003, as fellow U of T student Carolyn Russel took the women’s crown.
Meanwhile, Western’s Rob Nigro was the winner on the men’s side last year. No U of T student has ever won the men’s crown, but this year it could be YOU.
-MS

Fencing

The Athletic Centre’s Field House will be home to the provincial fencing championship this weekend, which means that dozens of men and women will be engaged in armed combat with pointy swords from Friday to Monday.
U of T’s fencing teams are going into the weekend with confidence and momentum behind them. This is because the men recently won gold at the OUA fencing championship and the women’s team won bronze at the same event.
Watch for Nick Rudzik, Claire Midgley, and others to fight their way to medals in the coming days.
-MS