The big 3-0

Well, the football team has new favourite number this week, and it’s one higher than 29. The Guelph Gryphons beat them 58-30, handing U of T its 30th straight loss on the gridiron.

Gryphons quarterback Justin Dunk passed for 278 yards in only three quarters of action. The Gryphons felt no need to risk him getting hurt, so they pulled him before the final frame.

The number 30 also provides a silver lining for the Blues. It is the second-highest point total that the team has managed this year, and well above most totals from last season. In fact, there was only one occasion when the team put up more than 14 points in a game last year.

I see a great deal of progress being made with the team this year, and for that they call me Mr. Brightside. Anyone else who has attended a game in each of the last two seasons will attest to the fact that the team is significantly better this year.

The defence and special teams have taken steps forward since September and the offence, led by David Hamilton, is strides ahead of where it was at this time a year ago. There is reason to hope that the Blues will beat Ottawa at home on Saturday afternoon, in what should be an entertaining contest.

Cuz I’m Mr. Brightside da da da da…

Rest in peace

The U of T community lost a great man, student, and athlete on September 21 when Kiran van Rijn suddenly passed away while training for upcoming rowing events on Lake Burnaby in British Columbia. He was just 29 years old.

Van Rijn was an excellent singles competitor for the Canadian national rowing team and for the Blues, but truly excelled in the team events. He led the men’s eight team to a medal in every event they took part in, including silver symbols of success at the 2002 OUA Regatta.

Kiran and teammate Ming-Chan Tsai won the gold medal in the men’s double event at last year’s OUA Regatta, which is the provincial rowing championship for rowers from Ontario universities. That was the only gold medal U of T won at the competition.

The talented athlete was able to compete in Italy, Taiwan, and other foreign locales with his various rowing teams. He was set to compete in the Canadian University Rowing Championships-scheduled to be his last event for U of T-in November in Victoria, BC

As a person, van Rijn was known for his great humility, generosity, and friendliness. He was also a dedicated and very hard-working individual.

Kiran is survived by his parents, younger sister, and grandmother. He will be missed by all who had the pleasure of knowing him.