The 2005 Marion Hilliard Invitational hockey tournament kicked off the pre-season last weekend with the Blues facing UBC’s Thunderbirds on Friday, followed by the Concordia Stingers on Saturday, and finishing up on Sunday with the Ottawa Gee-Gees.

U of T’s Varsity Blues and UBC came to a 2-2 tie in the preseason debut for the Thunderbirds on Friday. Both teams scored once in the first, the Thunderbirds added their second score in the second, and the Blues closed the scoring with a goal in the third.

Justine Todd, who had an impressive weekend, scored the goal in the third to tie the game. Neither team was able to break the deadlock after her score.

On Saturday, the tournament continued at Varsity Stadium as the Varsity Blues faced the Concordia Stingers. Despite a slow start in the first, the Blues battled back aggressively to tie the Stingers 1-1. Outstanding performances from Blues goaltenders Lisa Robertson and Stephanie Lockert made scoring for the Stingers difficult. Stingers keeper Cecilia Anderson was also impressive, amassing several one-handed saves.

After a strong defensive start for both teams, Concordia took the lead with a goal by Janie Brassard early in the third period. With less than ten minutes left in the third, the Blues responded boldly to the Stingers with a goal by Annie DelGuidice, assisted by Todd. The game would end abruptly in a 1-1 tie.

The double header concluded Sunday with the highly anticipated match up between the Blues and Ottawa Gee Gees. Despite a valiant effort by the Blues, the Gee Gees took home a 3-0 shutout victory. The Gee-Gees would eventually go on to win the Marion Hilliard Tournament, finishing with a 2-0-1 record.

Kim Kerr had two goals in the victory over the Blues and Josianne Garneau had the other Ottawa tally. Megan Takeda stopped all 27 U of T shots to earn the shutout.

The next match up for the Varsity Blues will be an exhibition game against Markham-Stouffville tonight. The location of the game was not known at press time.

The regular season for this group of veterans and rookies begins on October 15, as the Brock Badgers visit Varsity Arena that night. Windsor is the next team to come to town after that, as they play the Blues on the afternoon of October 22.