Searching for its first Wilson Cup in ten years, the men’s basketball team will attack opponents with a more up-tempo style, according to head coach Mike Katz.

“We will have to score more points than we have in the past,” Katz said. “The team will try to run the ball more. We need to wear out opponents by moving up and down the court.”

With the graduation of two-time Ontario University Athletics (OUA) all-star centre Kenny Hilborn-whose 6′ 7″ frame was a linchpin for the Blues on both sides of the floor-the Blues will look to their backcourt of Mike DiGorgio and OUA all-star Mike Williams to lead the offence.

Katz also cited Dwayne Grant and Paul Sergautis as key returning components in the Blues’ quest for the postseason.

“We always need to make the playoffs,” Katz said. “What would be an improvement would be to host one. Last year we were away for both of our games; we won one and lost the other. Getting one of those games at home this year could help.”

In the offseason, the Blues welcomed freshmen Ahmed Nazmi, Nick Snow, and Mike Thomas to the team. Katz said he was “happy” with his first recruiting class, although Snow will be limited in his play this season with an illness. The 6′ 7″ power forward from Banting High School was considered one of the more sought-after players in Ontario.

“Snow’s situation is unfortunate,” Katz said. “Hopefully he can come in at some point this season and show what he’s capable of doing.”

While the Blues’ regular season starts November 11, the team will face serious competition next Friday when it hosts UBC-a team Katz considers one of the top three in the country-in an exhibition match.

The Blues are 1-2 in preseason play, having defeated Central Michigan but losing to Navy and North Dakota St. in the NCAA D-1 Exhibition Tournament at Humber College September 3-5.