For any team, an opening night victory would definitely be music to one’s ears. It was certainly evident to everyone in attendance at Varsity Arena Saturday night that Janine Davies was definitely playing the right tune.

The third-year forward’s 2 first period goals led the Varsity Blues women’s hockey team (1-0-0) to a convincing 3-2 opening night win over the Brock Badgers (1-2-0). For the Blues, it was a near-perfect start to a much-anticipated season.

After Davies opened the scoring early in the first period, Brock tied the game with a controversial goal where it appeared Blues goaltender Lisa Robertson had frozen the puck before it crossed the goal line. Just minutes later Davies struck again, tapping in her own rebound to allow the Blues to regain the lead with 2:37 left in the frame.

In the second period, the Blues began to apply the pressure on Brock’s defence, but were thwarted by Brock goaltender Angie Mallory, who denied U of T forwards on several good chances, including Davies’ bid for a hat trick. Meanwhile, the Blues’ defence kept the lead intact with solid work in their own zone, especially on key penalty kills late in the period.

The Blues once again carried the play throughout the third period, but could not cash in on any of a number of good chances, despite having a two-man advantage early on. It was not until midway through the stanza that the Blues got the insurance marker they so desperately needed: Katie Dowdall-who looked impressive all game long-went five-hole on Mallory to make the score 3-1 in favour of the Varsity Blues.

Dowdall’s goal would prove to be an important one.

With a just under two minutes left in the game, Brock’s star forward Kate Algood, who was constantly being frustrated by a tenacious Blues defence, finally broke through, jamming the puck past Robertson and bringing the Badgers within one. But with six attackers and the net empty, Brock could not amass any significant attack, allowing the home side to hang on for the 3-2 victory.

The Blues outshot Brock 43-21 in the match. The game could have gotten severely out of hand without the stellar play of netminder Mallory in the Badgers cage.

Davies believes that the Blues can still improve on their offensive prowess: “It’s something we can work on. I think we should definitely get more goals on [43 shots]. We just need to battle hard and get to those rebounds.”

Davies also commented on the importance of a fast start for her team: “There will be no easy games this year so it will be important to start off on top. You want to make everyone afraid to play you by looking at your record.”

The Blues will look to do just that this coming weekend with a game Saturday versus Windsor and one Sunday against Guelph. With a long road trip forthcoming, it will be important for the Blues to continue their strong play at home and keep singing that winning verse.