After a disappointing loss to Laurentian University on Saturday, the U of T men’s soccer team was back in top form on Sunday, defeating Nipissing University by a score of 2-0. The Blues came out strong right from the opening kickoff, dominating most of the play and controlling the midfield.

The forward line of Jose D’amore, Evan Milward, and Kyle Hall worked well together, creating many scoring opportunities and showing off an impressive display of running speed.

The Blues’ first goal came at the 20-minute mark and was scored by co-captain Sean Myers. The tally was a result of a skilful passing play between D’amore, Milward, and Myers, ending in Myers trapping Nipissing goalkeeper Ian Sharpe and putting the ball into the gaping cage behind the helpless keeper.

Nipissing striker Alagie Gaye had a couple of dangerous opportunities towards the end of the half but was unable get the ball past U of T goalkeeper Luciano Lombardi. The Blues went into halftime with a 1-0 lead.

During halftime the Blues made a substitution in net, sending in backup Mate Jurkin for Lombardi. Jurkin has not had many opportunities to play, as Lombardi has been outstanding in the Blues goal.

The Nipissing offence came out stronger in the second half than they did in the first. Nipissing was awarded a free kick just outside the 18-yard box during the sixty-third minute of play and midfielder Matt Prikken almost scored the first goal for the Lakers, but narrowly missed the Blues net.

Four minutes later Blues forward Kyle Hall burst down the field chasing after a long ball, outmanoeuvered the only Nipissing defender in his way, and beat Sharpe to put the Blues up 2-0.

All was going well until the Blues had a scare late in the second half. Jurkin misjudged a tricky-shot that was lobbed high overhead by a Nipissing player, and the shot almost found a home in the back of the cage. Luckily Jurkin managed to tip the ball over the net, resulting in a Nipissing corner that was cleared out by the Blues defence.

The last good scoring opportunity of the game belonged to Milward, who just missed the net wide during injury-time, which is added after the clock has run out. Nipissing was not able to create any chances of their own in the bonus time and suffered a shutout at the hands of U of T.

Lombardi and Jurkin combined to stymie The Lakers Sunday. This game also marked the end of the home portion of the Blues regular season schedule. The Blues have one away game left in the season-against archrival York University-before heading into the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) playoffs.

The Blues remain two points ahead of their York rivals in the north division, having amassed six wins, one loss, and two ties so far this year. Last time the two teams met, the Varsity Blues and York Lions tied nil-nil.

When they meet on October 23rd, the Blues and Lions will be battling for the top spot in their division. The winner will clinch the top spot, while a tie would go in favour of the Blues.