Na na na na… hey hey hey…

McGill officially kissed its football team’s season goodbye Tuesday after confirming that rumours of inappropriate hazing rituals took place prior to the regular season. The Redmen were 1-5-0 heading into the final week of the regular season.

“Following an investigation into a complaint about inappropriate behaviour during the football team’s initiation activities, McGill University announced today that it is cancelling the remainder of the varsity football season, taking disciplinary action against individuals, strengthening its policies and procedures, and launching a series of educational and team-building initiatives,” read a statement from Jennifer Robinson, McGill’s associate vice-principal (communications).

The hazing activities, which included sodomization of at least one rookie on the team during rookie night on August 27, were confirmed in a report in received by McGill’s principal on Monday. The university is taking a zero-tolerance stance on such behaviour, and decided that the only option they had was to cancel the remainder of McGill’s football season.

Well, at least there will be one team that the Blues finish ahead of in the CIS standings, although the Redmen were not having a very good year anyway.

-MATT SOMERS

Tragedy strikes twice

Ontario lost two fine athletes this past week, as a marathoner and a university ultimate frisbee competitor died suddenly in separate incidents.

Twenty-one-year-old year-old Chris Powell was found dead at the bottom of an elevator shaft in Montreal last Saturday morning. The third-year Carelton student was taking part in an ultimate frisbee tournament with his team in the Quebec city at the time of his death.

Friends say that Powell had been at a social event with teammates late Friday night and then left by himself to return to his hotel room. Powell’s body was then discovered at the bottom of a shaft in a parking garage early Saturday morning.

Foul play is not suspected in this case, the Ottawa Citizen reported, as Powell’s keys and wallet were still on his person when his body was found.

Meanwhile, the Canadian University Press (CUP) reported Sunday that a 42-year-old man collapsed and died soon after completing a half-marathon in Toronto that same day. The cause of death is under investigation and his identity has not yet been made public.

The thoughts and prayers of everyone at The Varsity go out to the families of both of these unfortunate men. May they eternally rest in peace.

-MS

Now that’s grit and determination

Two members of the University of Toronto Track Club placed in the top 12 at last Sunday’s running of the Toronto Marathon. Republic of Congo native Danny Kassap finished 44 seconds off the pace, which was good enough for third place.

Jay Bercher, who finished in just over two-and-a-half hours, came in eleventh in the 42.2 km event. The eventual winner on the men’s side was David Cheryot, and the women’s crown was claimed by Lioudmila Kortchaguina.

Congratulations to both men for not only having the courage to enter and the stamina to finish the gruelling event, but for finishing in the top 12 in a world-class field. You boys do U of T proud.

-MS