Coming off crucial back-to-back wins, the men’s lacrosse team (5-4) is heading into postseason play. The Blues are the fifth seed and will be hosted by fourth-seeded Bishop’s (7-2) when the Baggataway Cup playoffs begin tomorrow.

Horrible conditions and Bishop’s attacker Jason Gail dominated the scene the last time the Blues faced the Gaiters in the regular season. The forward tabbed seven goals on U of T in an 11-4 Gaiter romp on October 16.

Bishop’s also defeated the Blues 15-2 in last year’s semifinals. Will the third time be a charm for the road warriors from U of T?

Blues coach Wayne Copeland said it is “highly likely” the Blues will leave Lennoxville with a win.

“If we get and hold possession and come out with more loose balls, we can win,” Copeland said. “Our offence will take care of itself.

“We can score goals,” he added. “What we need to do is, one, take care of the ball and keep possession. This includes winning faceoffs. Two, we need a team defence that has everyone going with intensity. We’re a grimy team, and we need to be to win.”

The Blues showed a bit of that grit and determination last Saturday, defeating Carleton 12-10 at Back Campus.

Midfielder Steve Hoar forced a Raven attacker to turn the ball over with 1:30 remaining after Blues attacker Beau Basset tied the game at ten in that game. Hoar then scooped up the loose ball and rifled a pass to attacker Ian Parrag, who sprinted down the right side, hit a wide open Dan Flemming with a pass, and celebrated after Flemming notched the winning goal.

Hoar proceeded to win the following faceoff, and after successfully killing time Blues attacker Chad Piovesan provided the insurance goal in the closing seconds.

Copeland cited Parrag and goaltender Eric Scott as key players for the Blues. Scott was a stalwart between the pipes, especially in the second half. His seven saves after the intermission smothered several Raven rallies.

“He showed his tenacity back there,” Copeland said.

Parrag scored four goals in the match. At one point in the second half he took over the contest and scored three consecutive goals.

“He was our top small guy,” Copeland said. “He controlled the game and carried the team on his back.”

U of T started the game 3-0, but then let the Ravens back in it as Carleton went on an 8-1 run.

“After we jumped out 3-0 we fell in love with ourselves,” Copeland said. “We lost our intensity and we lost our discipline. We took bad penalties, and were down three men at one point.”

“It was something we talked about at halftime. We came to our senses as far as working harder in the second half and knowing we had the fourth quarter to shine.”