Intramural game of the week: birth of a brief

The inaugural game of the week comes from men’s division two basketball. Victoria College takes on UTM next Monday night at the Athletic Centre (November 7, 8:05 pm, Field House 3).

UTM suffered a heartbreaking loss last week to a surging University College team after blowout wins in their first few games, and are hoping to bounce back with a convincing win.

Vic has had a disappointing season to date, but will hope to play the spoilers against a UTM team that has nothing but the championship on their mind. With teams such as the FPEH and those cagey engineers proving to be real playoff contenders, UTM needs to win this game to keep their championship dreams alive.

Check back next Thursday for the results of this match as well as the first playoff edition of the intramural game of the week.

-MATT VENTRESCA

Running down a dream

Gold is the only colour on the minds of the field hockey and men’s soccer teams this weekend. The main difference is that the field hockey squad will be performing on the national stage and the soccer team is hoping to earn the same privilege.

Vancouver plays host to the Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) field hockey championships from Thursday to Sunday and the Blues are one of two Ontario teams competing for the national crown. Guelph is the other.

Also taking part are the Alberta Pandas and the host University of British Columbia Thunderbirds. The Thunderbirds are two-time defending CIS champs and will be extremely difficult to beat on their own turf.

U of T, feeling like anything is possible, is prepared for the challenge the Thunderbirds represent.

The Ontario University Athletics (OUA) men’s soccer final four will also be held this weekend. It will be much easier for Blues fans to cheer their boys on to victory, however, as the medal games are being played at St. Michael’s College School in Toronto on Sunday.

U of T will take on Western on Saturday at 2 p.m. at the Ontario Soccer Centre (7601 Martingrove Road) in their semifinal match. The winner of this game will play in the gold-medal game on Sunday at 2 p.m., while the loser will play for bronze at 11 a.m.

-MATT SOMERS

Sue is U of T’s buzz girl

Sue McCutcheon received yet another honour to add to her collection Tuesday night. The talented and active hockey player was named U of T’s representative at this year’s Women of Influence luncheon held at the Royal York Hotel.

McCutcheon was singled out for her academic and athletic achievements. She has also won the Marion Hilliard Award (2004-05) and the Helen Gurney Award in her time at U of T, and was named an academic all-Canadian in 2003-04.

Congratulations Sue. Keep up the good work.

-MS