Roll on, playoffs, roll on

The weather outside may be frightful, but that won’t stop U of T intramurals from finishing up the fall season of outdoor sports.

Congratulation are due to St. Michael’s College who took home the men’s rugby title last Sunday with a 13-5 victory over the Faculty of Engineering. The championship victory caps off an undefeated season for St. Mike’s, who will look to continue their dominance on the rugby pitch next fall.

This week’s game of the week also features a playoff match-up that will be played outdoors. In the men’s division one soccer semifinals, the School of Graduate Studies takes on New College for a spot in the championship game (Saturday, 10:30 a.m., Front Campus North). New College looks to capitalize on the momentum gained from a 4-0 quarterfinal victory over the Faculty of Law, whereas SGS is well rested coming off a first round bye.

The victorious squad will play the winner of the other semifinal between the Faculty of Engineering and the University of Toronto at Mississauga in the finals to be played the following weekend.

The temperature may be dipping down towards zero, but intramural playoffs are just heating up.

This Sunday, Sunday, Sunday!

The Rogers Centre will host the CFL’s east final on Sunday at 3 p.m., which will feature two hated rivals squaring off for a ticket to the Grey Cup. The Toronto Argonauts will host the red-hot Montreal Alouettes in front of 50,000 boisterous fans.

This will be the fourth year in a row that these two teams have met in the east final, but this year, for the first time in that span, the game will be in Toronto. The Argos defeated the Als in the 2004 playoffs en route to their first Grey Cup since 1997. Montreal defeated Toronto in 2002 and 2003.

Come out and support the Double Blue as they attempt to repeat as Grey Cup champions. This ain’t no monster jam. It’s better. It’s football, Canadian style.

-MATT SOMERS

Weekend Update

The Varsity Blues women’s hockey team dropped two straight games over the weekend to the Queen’s Golden Gaels, losing 2-1 in overtime Saturday and 4-3 Sunday afternoon. The Blues’ record is now 4-5-0-2, good for 10 points and fourth place in the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) standings, where Queen’s stands in second place with a record of 7-2-1-0.

The Blues got out to fast starts in both contests, outshooting the Golden Gaels early on in the games. It was Queen’s ability to finish strong in the third period and in overtime that allowed them to clinch victories over one of their OUA rivals.

The Golden Gaels were also bolstered by the stellar play of goaltender Claire Hunt.

Lisa Robertson backstopped the Blues on both nights, making 29 and 22 saves, respectively. Kristy Patterson notched a goal in Saturday’s game, and Mary Modeste scored her first two goals of the season Sunday

The Blues’ next match is on the road Saturday night against Waterloo, a hungry team trying to climb out of the basement of their division.

-MV