Sigh…another Christmas has come and gone and, if you’re anything like me, you may have noticed that your pants have mysteriously become tighter around the middle. Either your dryer enjoys shrinking your clothes around the waistline or you’ve gained some holiday poundage. Don’t sweat it, though, because the Athletic Centre and Hart House are here to help and will have you back in shape in no time!

As a U of T student, your incidental fees allow you free access to many of the services and facilities offered at the AC and Hart House, including: badminton, basketball, and tennis courts; use of the squash courts; table tennis; an indoor track; volleyball; use of the exercise machines; and the pools (with free towel service…gotta love those towels).

The AC and Hart House also offer a variety of drop-in classes ranging from cardio to classic conditioning to aerobics.

The two buildings open in the wee hours of the morning and stay that way until late at night to accommodate students’ schedules. They also offer a locker service, and women’s-only hours are also available (check the recreation boards by the AC turnstiles for details).

For students who can’t commit to structured activity classes-we all know how tight time is this time of year-the flexible hours and wide variety of drop-in programs available at the AC and Hart House offer a refreshing and practical alternative. There’s always time to play a quick game of basketball or go for a fast dip in the pool. Not only are these great ways to get in shape and shake off your stress, they are also already paid for, which, as any university student knows, is a huge bonus!

In addition to these free services and drop-in classes, the AC and Hart House also offer a number of services for a fee. Along with the standard sports like soccer, basketball, and hockey, one can also register for synchronized swimming, diving, hip-hop dance, pilates, capoeira, feldenkrais (curious? Check out the website), fencing, karate, kendo, and ultimate frisbee. Health and wellness classes are offered, as are personal training, nutritional consultations, aquatic certification (e.g., Bronze Medallion), and First Aid and CPR certification courses.

Some classes, such as dance and yoga, range from beginner’s level to experienced. There are intercollegiate and co-ed intramural teams as well as groups like the triathlon club. I bet you didn’t know there was a triathlon club.

Registration is as simple as ABC, and can be done in person, over the phone, or online. Just follow the links from www.utoronto.ca. Registered classes fill up fast, so sign up as soon as you know what is right for you.

Take advantage of the AC and Hart House and nobody will ever know that Christmas breakfast included second and third helpings of apple pie.