Well-timed digs at the opposition

Some were worried about the women’s volleyball team after struggling at the National Invitational Tournament they hosted last week. The fears were silenced with a vengeance last weekend, though, as the Blues swept their opponents.

Toronto (12-1) traveled to Brock Friday to take on the pesky Badgers (2-9) in an east-west showdown. The Blues exterminated the team named after a rodent in a most efficient manner, winning in three straight sets and never giving up more than 22 points in a set.

Mila Miguel landed 11 kills for Toronto, while Leah Towell and Asya Danilova had ten each for the Blues. Miranda Midgley was the lone bright spot for Brock on the day, recording 11 kills and nine digs.

Danilova was like Godzilla just after being freed from his icy prison during Sunday’s game against York (7-4): she was an unstoppable frenzy of fury and energy, landing a monstrous 27 kills and 16 digs. The Lions were also defeated in straight sets.

The Blues will play Guelph and McMaster at home next weekend. Be there or be square.

-MATT SOMERS

Afraid of peaking too early, they made sure to finish strong

The women’s basketball team came out even after the weekend, losing a game and winning another. The good news is that the Blues finished their weekend campaign strong and made their final impression a victory.

Toronto (7-6) faced tough road games against McMaster (13-1) and Lakehead (5-9) on Friday and Saturday, respectively. The former ended in a 72-62 Marauder victory, while the Blues dominated the latter, winning 81-65.

The division-leading McMaster squad’s attack was led by Chiara Rocca, who scored 19 points in Friday’s game. Toronto’s Christine Cho had 20 points in a losing effort.

Lakehead fell to the Blues on Saturday despite a double-double (17 points, 11 rebounds) from star Kathryn Verboom. Cho once again led the Blues’ attack, scoring 17 points and collecting eight rebounds.

The Liberal Party should take lessons from these gals.

-MS

A strong campaign from start to finish

The men’s basketball team disposed of McMaster on Friday night and Lakehead Saturday, running their record to a perfect 5-0 in 2006. Talk about ringing in the new year in style!

Friday night was a 77-58 massacre of the Marauders (9-3) by the impressive Blues (11-2). Mike Digiorgio and Mike Williams each scored 20 points for the Blues in the win.

Saturday’s contest was much closer, but Toronto still prevailed. Lakehead (4-8), led by Kiraan Posey’s 22 points put up a good fight, but lost 72-67 to the surging Blues. Dwayne Grant made 11 of 15 shots taken, ending up with 25 points in the contest. Grant was named Ontario University Athletics (OUA) athlete of the week after this performance

Toronto is now tied for the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) east division lead with 22 points.

-MS