Mike Quinsey arrives for wrestling practice two hours before it begins to prepare for each session’s grueling exercises, and he stays another hour afterwards-he is a true student of the sport. Only Mike Quinsey is not a member of the Varsity Blues wrestling squad; he is the head coach.

Rugged and powerful looking, Quinsey has been involved in the sport for thirty years. Quickly climbing up the ranks as a youngster, he garnered an OFSAA championship in high school before heading to Simon Fraser University, where he completed an undergraduate degree and collected a second-place finish at the National Association ofIntercollegiate Athletics championships.

During his time at SFU he became the Canadian university all-time record holder for most wins by pins. After serving as a national team member and Olympic alternate, he began to dabble in the field of coaching with the intent of becoming a professional educator.

Upon taking over as Blues wrestling head coach at the start of the 2004-2005 season, Quinsey successfully instilled his hardworking mentality into the fabric of the team, vaulting the men’s wrestling squad to one of its best seasons in recent memory.

As the current campaign gets underway, he is determined to gradually turn the university’s wrestling teams into nationally top-ranked programs.

“Last year was the rookie year for most of my athletes,” articulates the coach. “I’m expecting an improvement this year in a number of weight classes, and a fifth-place finish for both the men’s and the women’s squads is not out of the question.”

While wrestling is an individual sport, a focus for Quinsey is strong team chemistry: “This squad is terrific to work with. To a wrestler they are personable, coachable, talented, and hard-working U of T students.”

Chris Banic, a seasoned veteran, agrees wholeheartedly: “The team is very cohesive and everyone is friendly. Wrestling is a rough sport and most of the frustration is taken out in the training.”

But it is the character and strength of Coach Quinsey as a leader that has revitalized the Varsity Blues wrestling program. This is a fact not lost on Steve Suraci, a bronze medalist at the McMaster Invitational Wrestling Tournament.

“The team’s improved quite a bit. U of T has historically never been too strong, but just a couple months after Coach Quinsey took over we defeated a very strong Guelph team,” says Suraci.

Each member attributes his or her success to the positive attitude of the coach and his ability to fine-tune their individual talents.

“Technically he’s helped teach me techniques specific to my style and size,” says Banic. “He’s very hands-on and is all about the one-on-one attention. He’s a very positive person and offers constructive criticism.”

As a teacher, Quinsey understands the importance of a solid education and tries to instill that mentality into his wrestlers. Off the mat he is considered an adviser and trusted confidante. “Individually he’s been a mentor to me,” says Suraci. “He helps me balance my wrestling and my work life outside of the U of T environment. He’s always giving advice, always keeping on top of our athletic and academic goals.”

When Coach Quinsey has something pertinent to say, his players listen, and that utter respect has directly contributed to the success of the teams. At the McMaster Invitational, U of T finished with 15 points and two bronze medals, ahead of the 12 points garnered by the 2004 squad.

The women’s team, led by Tessa Botticella and Shannon Miller, continue to improve under Quinsey’s tutelage and are likewise projected to place higher this season.

“In one year Coach Quinsey has completely changed the environment of the team,” crows Suraci. “He’s scheduled more matches for us to compete in and acquired brand new uniforms. He’s gotten more funding and given up enough time to build on the program. I think he almost lives in the gym sometimes. He does a lot for us wrestlers, above and beyond.”

Along the way, the wrestling coach will undoubtedly accomplish his goal of turning the Varsity Blues program into a perennial powerhouse. For Mike Quinsey, who has consistently tasted success at every level, there is no alternative.